What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I had a tire hop at highway speeds I assumed was my old tires but with the new tires I still have it. When the gas tank is full and tire pressures cold it is not as bad. I'm gonna put it on jacks an take a look for anything obvious.
Does it happen at a certain speed?

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it happen at a certain speed?
Kinda, at 50 I can barely feel it but 65-70 is worst at 75 it's almost gone. It's like I feel the "hop" for about 30 sec then is goes smooth for about 30 sec and repeats. I dont really feel it in the steering wheel it's more like the whole truck

They did a front end alignment so I ASSume nothing steering is majorly worn. I also thought driveshaft but I let off the gas and back on to see if I could hear any thunks but notta.

Then I started thinking shocks since I put them on with the tires about 40-43k ago...

Last edited:

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda, at 50 I can barely feel it but 65-70 is worst at 75 it's almost gone. It's like I feel the "hop" for about 30 sec then is goes smooth for about 30 sec and repeats. I dont really feel it in the steering wheel it's more like the whole truck

They did a front end alignment so I ASSume nothing steering is majorly worn. I also thought driveshaft but I let off the gas and back on to see if I could hear any thunks but notta.

Then I started thinking shocks since I put them on with the tires about 40-43k ago...

Jacked up the front, no play in the rear driveshft at all. Steering seems ok to me, the old tires had a perfect wear pattern. The brake rotors look glazed, I spun the front wheels by hand and all was smooth, so maybe the rear ones are warped? Gonna change the oil then jack up the rear and spin the wheels by hand.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That sounds like an out of round or out of balance tire but since it’s happened with 2 sets of tires I would suspect a bent rim.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like an out of round or out of balance tire but since it’s happened with 2 sets of tires I would suspect a bent rim.

I followed this guys video on how to check for bent rims but I don't see anything wrong. I took the wheels off and eliminated the wheel spacers, figured less stuff to troubleshoot. I have to take a trip on the highway tomorrow will see if anything changed.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I followed this guys video on how to check for bent rims but I don't see anything wrong. I took the wheels off and eliminated the wheel spacers, figured less stuff to troubleshoot. I have to take a trip on the highway tomorrow will see if anything changed.
I would have a good tire shop do a road force balance and check for a bent rim or out of round tire. Tell them what’s going on. There’s nothing like spinning them up to speed on a machine. I doubt you’ll be able to see a minor issue doing it like that. I had a shaking issue at 65-70 and the shop that sold me the 26” wheels balanced them 3 times but it was still there. I went to another shop and one of the tires was way out of tolerance as far as roundness plus the first shop must have gotten frustrated trying to balance it because it wasn’t. I ended up putting that tire on the rear after the hood shop balanced it and the shaking was almost nonexistent. I sold the rims soon after and went smaller with a different brand of tires.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have a good tire shop do a road force balance and check for a bent rim or out of round tire. Tell them what’s going on. There’s nothing like spinning them up to speed on a machine. I doubt you’ll be able to see a minor issue doing it like that. I had a shaking issue at 65-70 and the shop that sold me the 26” wheels balanced them 3 times but it was still there. I went to another shop and one of the tires was way out of tolerance as far as roundness plus the first shop must have gotten frustrated trying to balance it because it wasn’t. I ended up putting that tire on the rear after the hood shop balanced it and the shaking was almost nonexistent. I sold the rims soon after and went smaller with a different brand of tires.

Well I have my Denali with the same size and make tires, I was thinking I could swap some tires and see if the problem goes away so it if is a rim I can narrow it down to the exact one.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I have my Denali with the same size and make tires, I was thinking I could swap some tires and see if the problem goes away so it if is a rim I can narrow it down to the exact one.
Great idea. Keep in mind the tires on an AWD have to be pretty much the exact same diameter or you’ll damage the transfer case so if one set is worn more than the other it would be safest to swap all 4. Then if you know you have a bad tire or rim, have a tire shop figure out which one out of the four.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
The clock is actually slightly larger than the power outlet in some places. The wood trim from the original Escalade bezel is actually removable if you take a Dremel to the backside and cut out the plastic tabs that hold it in. Then I just painted it to match the Denali gray console trim. Since I wanted to keep the ash gray wood trim from the Denali console, I had to then Dremel out the tabs that hold the OEM gray bezel that surrounds the CD changer, storage cubby, and power outlet. Then glue the pained Escalade trim onto the Denali bezel. Sounds more complicated than it is honestly now that I’ve done it. Also, power outlet where the clock goes is part of the Denali bezel so have to cut that out too.

Got it, my next mod. Thanks

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the Hellwig F & R sway bars installed today.!

Also the center rear brake line I had made, to replace the faulty one that was in the kit. So glad, now it’s all stainless!

07039168a6e74ff50f6b2357f34d5f56.jpg
16847c6b9618cda77ee0ae536501938c.jpg
21962b15c675a21400e8feff7c66d078.jpg
874a8d81378d3761d77bc2ee64a98b88.jpg
1028585357503023eb12fd99e6cbaa68.jpg
ef1fa18b20ea916d83b6048cf367a0b6.jpg
551b8c91207f48d29a18675f7f5c2c29.jpg

Also replaced the super short bumpstops with slightly taller ones. Now they contact the jounce stops, as they’re supposed to. [emoji106]

3f07adcc9ccb2e6eb877c2d558b30e8f.jpg
08bb6b59ad0ee51a44ae4c7de6476047.jpg

I didn’t have a chance to take her on any canyon carving today [emoji57].. but just during the short drive home, I could definitely feel a significant difference! She feels completely planted now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE