What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
If you can, have the system pressurized. Either you do it or a shop. I've been losing coolant ever since I had my water pump replaced. I feared castech heads. Fortunately when I had a shop pressurize the system it was leaking from the pump and I'd have never known since it dripped onto the engine and burned off. I'll do another pump/gasket myself. So glad my heads aren't cracked.

I think this is my issue as well, because I went through 2 new water pumps (remanufactured) before one sealed well enough not to leak it out in a giant misty cloud of dexcool as I drove around.

This one didn’t leak a drop until after the wreck, which broke the original reservoir, and it’s leaked from somewhere since they “fixed” it.

I also worry I could have a leak at the head, but if I do, it’s insignificant enough not to show in the oil so far. Engine swap is in the future for the old girl either way, so for now just gonna keep on keeping on.

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I think this is my issue as well, because I went through 2 new water pumps (remanufactured) before one sealed well enough not to leak it out in a giant misty cloud of dexcool as I drove around.

This one didn’t leak a drop until after the wreck, which broke the original reservoir, and it’s leaked from somewhere since they “fixed” it.

I also worry I could have a leak at the head, but if I do, it’s insignificant enough not to show in the oil so far. Engine swap is in the future for the old girl either way, so for now just gonna keep on keeping on.

You could send an oil sample to Blackstone to set if there's any signs of coolant.

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as bodyshop recommendations if you're willing to travel, I'd recommend Rico's Autobody in robbinsville Nj

So I finally called Rico’s body shop. The call did not go well.

Me: “Hi I’m looking for a custom paint job for my 2002 Tahoe.”

Rico’s employee: “What do you mean a ‘custom paint job?’”

Me: “uhh.. I wasn’t in an accident, I don’t want insurance work, I just want to paint my truck a new color.”

Rico’s employee: “We don’t do that.”

Me: *click*

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I finally called Rico’s body shop. The call did not go well.

Me: “Hi I’m looking for a custom paint job for my 2002 Tahoe.”

Rico’s employee: “What do you mean a ‘custom paint job?’”

Me: “uhh.. I wasn’t in an accident, I don’t want insurance work, I just want to paint my truck a new color.”

Rico’s employee: “We don’t do that.”

Me: *click*
Most body shops won’t do a color change. It’s too much work and there’s not enough money in it unless you want to spend $8000-$10000 and they know nobody wants to spend that.

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most body shops won’t do a color change. It’s too much work and there’s not enough money in it unless you want to spend $8000-$10000 and they know nobody wants to spend that.

I’ve talked to three paint shops and two wrap shops. My quotes so far for all bodywork plus repaint are $6500 and $8500. I’m trying to keep my budget below $9k.

Assumptions are a necessary optimization, but professionals should definitely make them more wisely, for I am nobody.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve talked to three paint shops and two wrap shops. My quotes so far for all bodywork plus repaint are $6500 and $8500. I’m trying to keep my budget below $9k.

Assumptions are a necessary optimization, but professionals should definitely make them more wisely, for I am nobody.
Maybe just tell them you want a color change instead of a custom paint job? To me, custom means something completely different but regardless, my friend owns a body shop and he won’t do a color change unless it’s a favor for a buddy. Depending on what’s expected, the whole vehicle needs to be torn apart and that means a ton of parts laying around just waiting to get lost or damaged. He can make more money doing several smaller jobs. My Silverado had a color change and the guy who had it done said it was at the body shop for months. It came back with a lot of small parts missing. To do it right, every bit of trim, hardware, etc needs to come off. So even at $9k they aren’t making anything but labor and then if the customer isn’t happy with anything they end up going backwards.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out what I just found... yeah that’s an Escalade at the local you pull it... but check out what’s underneath!!!

View attachment 208820 View attachment 208821

**EDIT: as soon as I posted this I realized it was a NBS hood. =.( my excitement got the best of me...
I just saw this video and the guy bought a Yukon with this same hood. I wonder if the NNBS HD hood is a direct fit for the NBS Yukons[emoji50][emoji848]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe just tell them you want a color change instead of a custom paint job? To me, custom means something completely different but regardless, my friend owns a body shop and he won’t do a color change unless it’s a favor for a buddy. Depending on what’s expected, the whole vehicle needs to be torn apart and that means a ton of parts laying around just waiting to get lost or damaged. He can make more money doing several smaller jobs. My Silverado had a color change and the guy who had it done said it was at the body shop for months. It came back with a lot of small parts missing. To do it right, every bit of trim, hardware, etc needs to come off. So even at $9k they aren’t making anything but labor and then if the customer isn’t happy with anything they end up going backwards.

I get what you’re saying. Maybe I should just have it wrapped. Here are some mocks I did in Photoshop. I’m leaning toward the first one (my Tahoe is a 2nd gen but couldn’t find good images of that body style in a matte base).

CA913626-6503-4494-8496-8CDD03BE1102.jpeg

753218C4-2D7B-4F29-B565-D0D783CD2599.jpeg

215F5D4C-4858-405E-A960-EA602916A830.jpeg

D86F89F3-B8E1-4604-9D98-81B4C146E0FE.jpeg

FWIW the $8500 quote was for all paint (as opposed to doing the stripes in vinyl).

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying. Maybe I should just have it wrapped. Here are some mocks I did in Photoshop. I’m leaning toward the first one (my Tahoe is a 2nd gen but couldn’t find good images of that body style in a matte base).

View attachment 209669

View attachment 209670

View attachment 209668

View attachment 209671

FWIW the $8500 quote was for all paint (as opposed to doing the stripes in vinyl).
A wrap is a good option but of course any bodywork needed to be done first. Even the tiniest dings show through. For the 8500 how extensive was it supposed to be- door jambs, engine compartment, etc.? Mine had everything done and the only way to tell is to pull the carpet or headliner. The front end had been completely disassembled, bumpers removed, etc etc. Engine compartment and underside of hood is repainted, Ive pulled pretty much everything apart and it’s all been repainted except the interior more than about 6” from the edges of the doors.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I just saw this video and the guy bought a Yukon with this same hood. I wonder if the NNBS HD hood is a direct fit for the NBS Yukons[emoji50][emoji848]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
Damn shame. Those are the rims I want, but 22's. Which hood is that? NNBS? Not a reg HD hood, the inserts. Looked pretty cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove