What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Finally got to the trans fluid and filter change. AC Delco Dexron VI from Amazon. AC Delco filter and seal #24208576 (I didn't use the pan gasket).

View attachment 209323

Fluid was DARK.

View attachment 209327

I did remove the linkage bracket (driver side, T40 torx) and the heat shield (passenger side, 10mm). Pan came down easy peasy. No prying, pulling, or anything. Just the right angle and down it came.
Pretty good bit of sludge on the magnet, but no shards or chunks...

View attachment 209324

All cleaned up and Lubelocker gasket...

View attachment 209326

The filter seal was hard to get out, but I managed to get an edge bent away and got ahold of it with a little pliers.

View attachment 209328

Since BlackBear is in two weeks and I had the fluid out, I decided to make a day of it. You guessed it, Vette servo! Followed this:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...22/corvette-servo-install-w-alot-pics-476223/

Went as planned. I didn't get any pics of this because it was getting dark and started raining. I was going as fast as I could while still respecting the fact that I was working on my transmission. Getting the snap ring back in sucks.

Finished the flush and used the stick to get the level close. I put it through all the gears in idle and double checked. Then I took it around the block a few times. 1-2 shift is nice. With the little sprinkle going, it even got loose for a sec at WOT. Sweet. So far so good.

Got home, put it through the gears in idle again, rechecked the fluid level, and topped it off. Will check hot again tomorrow. Follow up later.

Update: checked it after the drive home the next day (a good 1/2 hour) and topped her off just a touch. Crawled underneath, no signs of any leaks. I notice the servo on the 2-3 as well as the 1-2. It is definitely a little firmer on both. All other shifts are good and smooth. Now I just hope it stays that way as I know this service was a bit overdue.

Whoa, Mister Accomplishment lol. That’s quite a bit of work. Good job.

The pile of parts was getting to big, and I didn't want @Galante to develop an inferiority complex. Just over a week until black bear, so one or two more things coming quick...

06JET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I think I found out why my AC pressures are high. 90 on the low and 400 on the high. I did not flush the oil out of the system and the compressor I bought had the oil charge in it ready to go. I lost about 3 oz of oil when I changed the condenser so I added 3 oz when I charged it back up. Now I guess I have twice the amount of oil in the system so it is pumping it thru the orifice tube like a fire hose and building up the pressure on both sides. That is what I have been able to find during my google reading time anyway. I guess I need to drain some out. I had the system depressurized today.

Where should I open the system to get the oil to drain?

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Had it towed
Update:

Replaced starter. Truck is back to running at top shape. Still have a few leaks, but they’re slow. Rear main oil leak is losing less than a quart between changes.

Still don’t know where the coolant is going or why, but it isn’t in the oil.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Update:

Replaced starter. Truck is back to running at top shape. Still have a few leaks, but they’re slow. Rear main oil leak is losing less than a quart between changes.

On my 4.8 before the swap, I also was losing coolant, I'd maybe lose 1/2 of the overflow every month 1/2. Wasn't leaking, no excessive steam from the tailpipe. I just chalked it up to the mileage, maybe getting past the headgaskets a little and burning in the cylinders. At the time it was around 275,000. Not losing coolant anymore.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

If you can, have the system pressurized. Either you do it or a shop. I've been losing coolant ever since I had my water pump replaced. I feared castech heads. Fortunately when I had a shop pressurize the system it was leaking from the pump and I'd have never known since it dripped onto the engine and burned off. I'll do another pump/gasket myself. So glad my heads aren't cracked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14