What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 01 hoe i just bent the shifter linkage out of the way and bent it back after....easier than trying to get to those bolts.... idea for next time
I read about bending the linkage & I tried that first. I never could get enough clearance for the pan to move as the front driveshaft wouldn't allow the assembly to be pried over far enough. I could see how it would work fine for 2-wheel drive trucks, but on mine the front DS for 4WD rides maybe 1/2-inch to the outside of the shifter link and it's impossible (for me) to move it over far enough.

Last edited:

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's because you need a bigger pry bar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read about bending the linkage & I tried that first. I never could get enough clearance for the pan to move as the front driveshaft wouldn't allow the assembly to be pried over far enough. I could see how it would work fine for 2-wheel drive trucks, but on mine the front DS for 4WD rides maybe 1/2-inch to the outside of the shifter link and it's impossible (for me) to move it over far enough.
Mine was 4wd.... but I understand at night and laying on your back.... I remember tryingbto getbthe drain plug out too.... i said screw it and took a bath in tranny fluid too.... at least its a cleaner......;)

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was 4wd.... but I understand at night and laying on your back.... I remember tryingbto getbthe drain plug out too.... i said screw it and took a bath in tranny fluid too.... at least its a cleaner......;)

LmAo! What's the deal with that drain plug anyway?? I couldn't get it broke loose when I had the pan free & on the ground! Gave up on it before I created more probs for myself but sure woulda been nice to make it functional.

So worse came to worst and found my cardboard soaked in $10 worth of Dex6. F***!!! Crawled under & found it drippin' exact same spot at front of tranny, except this time it had been leaking for 10-hours instead of 10-min. Tightened all of the bolts up again, stopped the leak. For now. Don't know exactly how much I lost or if it's in the "driveable" category.
GM spec is 5-qts on 4L60e which read way high on my dipstick so I have no idea or any way to know how much oil I lost overnight & what quantity should be added to be back @ spec.

I have had this truck for maybe 1-month now & trans fill level always read way high. I figured it's been running fine overfilled & I would correct it when I did the drain&refill. Well now I know it was prob within spec the whole time. Only God knows; even at cold fill level after my maint' routine it was still super high on the dipstick even after the big leak but I know what I put in there & I know what GM calls for.

@ least I feel a lil more secure with myself knowing others have taken the tranny bath. I was so careful removing the bolts so it would drain where I wanted it to; Ppppshhh! Not even close. F*+%n drain plug torqued @ 200ft/lb w that cheesy a$$ bolt head. Nonsense.

Last edited:

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LmAo! What's the deal with that drain plug anyway?? I couldn't get it broke loose when I had the pan free & on the ground! Gave up on it before I created more probs for myself but sure woulda been nice to make it functional.

So worse came to worst and found my cardboard soaked in $10 worth of Dex6. F***!!! Crawled under & found it drippin' exact same spot at front of tranny, except this time it had been leaking for 10-hours instead of 10-min. Tightened all of the bolts up again, stopped the leak. For now. Don't know exactly how much I lost or if it's in the "driveable" category.
GM spec is 5-qts on 4L60e which read way high on my dipstick so I have no idea or any way to know how much oil I lost overnight & what quantity should be added to be back @ spec.

I have had this truck for maybe 1-month now & trans fill level always read way high. I figured it's been running fine overfilled & I would correct it when I did the drain&refill. Well now I know it was prob within spec the whole time. Only God knows; even at cold fill level after my maint' routine it was still super high on the dipstick even after the big leak but I know what I put in there & I know what GM calls for.
Check Trans fluid when it's warm and engine running otherwise it will read high on the dipstick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check Trans fluid when it's warm and engine running otherwise it will read high on the dipstick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
Also you might not be getting all the old fluid out so I'd go by what the dipstick says. There is a specific method called for when checking fluid level:
Trans temp should be at normal level, 180-200 degrees.
Start in park, engine running.
Move through each gear, pausing for 3 seconds in each gear. (foot on brake of course)
Put it back in park.
Let engine idle for 3 minutes or more.
Without shutting off the engine, pull the dipstick and wipe it off.
Put the dipstick all the way in, wait 3 seconds, then pull it out and check the level.
Check both sides of the dipstick and read the lower level.
It needs to be in the HOT cross-checked area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeterF