What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
So update on the swap. It was completed with out a problem. Went like clock work. Used the 5.3 accessories,intake all sensors from 5.3. I used the 5.3 started. The 4L65 is the direct swap and had no problems. The truck fired up on the first shot and is running perfect with no leaks or engine lights. I used the motor and tranny and the fly wheel from the escalade.

jcevans7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stared at my braided Goodridge brake lines and decided to go ahead and order parts for my GMT900 front brake upgrade and do it all at once. Then I installed the new OEM blower motor that was delivered today . Nice and quiet and it really blows. Ha.View attachment 64843
Take a moment and count the threads on your break lines. There are different thread pitches for the front and rear brake calipers. I stripped one of them out found out the hard way. Update us when you have them on and how you like to them

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a moment and count the threads on your break lines. There are different thread pitches for the front and rear brake calipers. I stripped one of them out found out the hard way. Update us when you have them on and how you like to them

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
The fronts are about twice as long as my rears and the Goodridge lines are exactly the same length as the factory lines so I couldn't possibly mix them up. They use the factory mounting hardware also so it should be good. I'll definitely post pictures when I do it.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Sorry my response for the swap was so short in my first post. There really isn't much to add, It is just as easy as pulling the motor and dropping the 6.0 in. So my donor motor was from a 2002 Cadillac Escalade,I pulled the motor and tranny complete(accessories and wiring harness) I stripped the engine and replaces the pan gasket and valley pan gasket and oil pump pick up tube O-ring, knock sensors,rear main seal and gasket. All of the original 6.0 accessories and intake were taken off and stored away. I reused everything off of my 5.3,even the starter that people say don't work on a 6.0. But it does and with the 6.0 fly wheel. %.3 intake and fuel rails, throttle body were kept intact and reused. I did end up using the 6.0 air box and mass air flow just for the decal that had the 6.0 on it. the 5.3 and 6.0 have the same part number for the mass air flow. tranny was rebuilt and installed, It shifts amazing and firm now. As I said above in the first up date, I have no engine light no leaks and fired up on the shot. I had a little bit of lifter clatter but went away quickly.

So still on the 5.3 tune and the performance is noticeably better. It don't feel like a tank anymore, acceleration onto the high way is effort less. I am not beating on it cause it's on the 5.3 tune but is a tone better than before. Tomorrow I have an appointment to have it dyno tuned, I can't wait to see what I get after that!!! I will update again on the tune when Its done and try to post a video.

Anyone thinking about doing this swap STOP thinking it is well worth it.

any question feel free to ask.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Why didn't you use all of the 6.0 accessories? They were different? Along with the other parts you swapped out, intake, throttle body etc. Did you put headers on it? I was so close doing the same swap. Donor was an 02 Denali 6.0, my truck is an 03 with the 4.8.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
The intake was a little different, I used the 5.3 cause I have dbw and the 6.0 was dbc. the 6.0 I got had return fuel line that was also a factor on using the 5.3 intake. It was easier to keep the 5.3 accessories, I didn't disconnect the power steering lines just tied the pump to the rad support, AC I kept connected so I didn't have to recharge,A little bit of a pain but worth it. I didn't get headers yet but plan too.
You will notice it runs a touch hotter that your old motor, mine is steady at 100 celsius. use to be 80-90 celsius.

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
The intake was a little different, I used the 5.3 cause I have dbw and the 6.0 was dbc. the 6.0 I got had return fuel line that was also a factor on using the 5.3 intake. It was easier to keep the 5.3 accessories, I didn't disconnect the power steering lines just tied the pump to the rad support, AC I kept connected so I didn't have to recharge,A little bit of a pain but worth it. I didn't get headers yet but plan too.
You will notice it runs a touch hotter that your old motor, mine is steady at 100 celsius. use to be 80-90 celsius.
Should be the same heat. I'm guessing you'll see it even out.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
should be but I have driven it now 150km and no change and no drop in the coolent tank. I am sure I got all the air out. I know the 2500 chev truck have a slightly bigger rad I am looking for one with the fans and oil cooler lines. my rad dont have the oil cooler and the lines I got with the motor were leaking.

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
should be but I have driven it now 150km and no change and no drop in the coolent tank. I am sure I got all the air out. I know the 2500 chev truck have a slightly bigger rad I am looking for one with the fans and oil cooler lines. my rad dont have the oil cooler and the lines I got with the motor were leaking.
Oh yeah I think the rads are bigger and I'd definitely get that oil cooler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baldaurk