What bulbs are people using to replace the DRL bulbs? LED?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't quite understand that. The incandescent 4114 (which is the OEM DRL bulb) is a higher wattage bulb by about 5 watts than the 3157, so it produces more heat, no?

EDIT: do you think the LEDs put out more heat than an OEM incandescent?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I don't quite understand that. The incandescent 4114 (which is the OEM DRL bulb) is a higher wattage bulb by about 5 watts than the 3157, so it produces more heat, no?

EDIT: do you think the LEDs put out more heat than an OEM incandescent?

Heat comes from resistance, and the 4114 is a rough service (long life) bulb with a heavier filament and therefore less resistance, I believe.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 3157 led switchbacks in that spot. My signal lights are in that spot also. Is that not the same for you guys?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
NBS DRLs are in the same fixture as the turn signals but different bulbs.

eric woods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been using these JDM ASTAR 10W LEDs in my Yukon XL since January of 2017, and I love them http://a.co/ihsLIZg

I have a video in this post showing what they look like if you are interested.

Agreed on the JDM ASTARs. Very versatile bulb and looks more like the Halogen headlights than the the traditional incandescents. With these in the DRL and backup lights, the vehicle is also very well lit at night when approaching and unlocking. I put a smaller version in my fogs as well.