What? Autoride broke a rear shock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MercerRec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My autoride system recently suffered a failure of which the end result was a broken air ride shock. The compressor was a Dorman replacement (bought new appx 1 year ago). No messages on the dash (and have not yet had a scan tool on it). Has anyone ever seen this? I am guessing the compressor over pressurized the system resulting in full shock extension and the weight of the XL exceeded the strength of the shock shaft.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this:
1 pressure switch failure on the compressor
2 ride height sensor failure/malfunction
3 control module malfunction

or ??

Really stumped on this one-

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is an internal failure of the shock. Arnott shocks? Arnott uses old shocks and just paints them, and puts a new airbag on them, could have 150k on them. I doubt the system over pressurizing would cause a shock to fail. Shocks are made to be fully extended. I also think the compressors only run for like 230 sec. to keep from over heating.

OP
OP
M

MercerRec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The shaft snapped, looks like it was fully extended when it broke. Only way I can see that could happen is if it was fully extended (under full air pressure) and was bent then snapped under compression. I'll take a pic.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is something failed inside the shock, and prevented the piston from moving and broke the rod.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is an internal failure of the shock. Arnott shocks? Arnott uses old shocks and just paints them, and puts a new airbag on them, could have 150k on them. I doubt the system over pressurizing would cause a shock to fail. Shocks are made to be fully extended. I also think the compressors only run for like 230 sec. to keep from over heating.
Arnott only uses "old shocks" if you go with their rebuilt option. I bought new Bilstein rear air shocks from them, and they're not "old" of rebuilt.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arnott only uses "old shocks" if you go with their rebuilt option. I bought new Bilstein rear air shocks from them, and they're not "old" of rebuilt.
Yes, the OP said "Autoride system", and autoride is an active shock, Arnott uses only "old shocks" for that. You chose a passive shock, and that disables your autoride to load leveling only, and those are new shocks.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the OP said "Autoride system", and autoride is an active shock, Arnott uses only "old shocks" for that. You chose a passive shock, and that disables your autoride to load leveling only, and those are new shocks.
You can debate what exactly Autoride is but my Autoride isn't disabled. Magnetic damping IS disabled but that's only part of the Autoride. Most people consider the shocks with air bladders to be Autoride shocks. You'll have a hard time convincing me I don't have Autoride , and judging from the OP's description, it's obvious that the Autoride he's referring to that may have broke his shock was the air bladder portion, not the damping.

Last edited:

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can debate what exactly Autoride is but my Autoride isn't disabled. Magnetic damping IS disabled but that's only part of the Autoride. Most people consider the shocks with air bladders to be Autoride shocks. You'll have a hard time convincing me I don't have Autoride , and judging from the OP's description, it's obvious that the Autoride he's referring to that may have broke his shock was the air bladder portion, not the damping.
What's incorrect? You disabled your active shocks to passive (non autoride) and only left the load leveling airshocks. Your system (2002) also did not come with magneride shocks, they were Bi-State shocks. They are different. Also, how is an air bladder going to break a shock rod?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's incorrect? You disabled your active shocks to passive (non autoride) and only left the load leveling airshocks. Your system (2002) also did not come with magneride shocks, they were Bi-State shocks. They are different. Also, how is an air bladder going to break a shock rod?
Dude Im not going to argue with you. If you think you're right then you must be right. My Autoride isn't disabled and you're arguing semantics. You're not helping anyone BTW.

Last edited:

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude Im not going to argue with you. If you think you're right then you must be right. My Autoride isn't disabled and you're arguing semantics. You're not helping anyone BTW. Unsubscribed.

I’m not really trying to argue, I think I hurt your feelings when you thought I called your shocks old, I am sorry. My point was Arnott website says “rebuilt,” and they leave it at that. When their rebuilt shocks are just a new airbag and paint, although they do load test them and trash the ones that don’t pass. I would just like for people to be informed what they are purchasing before they do so, was how I was trying to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavychevyvito