Autoride Logic Diagram and Data Flow Chart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
Does anyone have a complete logic diagram or data flow chart for the Autoride suspension?

What I am looking for is how the entire system reacts and processes the input from each of the sensors and data points in the system.
What, exactly does each shock sensor send to the controller and how does the controller process that information?

To me, the only logical way to make an informed decision on whether to replace the Autoride with a standard system, or replace the Autoride shocks with airbag shocks with a dummy sensor, is to know exactly how each pieces operates and provides feedback to the system.

Without this, you would just be guessing at how it will effect the overall ride and system.

I need to replace the rear shocks on my Denali and cost is not the biggest factor for me.
I want to know what I am gaining or losing by choosing each option available for replacement parts.

Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the best choice is to replace the defective parts with oem or a comparible product that will function like oem, for instance arnott makes a replacement oem compatible shock that operates just like oem, they also make one that has a buiilt in resistor that "lies" to the computer and it thinks everything is normal.
the there are basically 9 components of the air ride system
4 shocks
4 ride height sensors
1 pump
and I guess the computer counts as well
without going into technical never never land it basically works like this (i think)
each of the 4 ride height sensors are your data source, these send data to the computer and in return the computer sends data to the shock to soften or harden the fluid resistance inside and to the air pump to increase or lower the rear shock bladder psi pressure. (the air psi lifts or lowers the rear end depending on the load like bags of cement or a trailer attached, etc)
in a nutshell I believe that is how it works
when you use a standard shock with a resistor or "resistor" on the shock it basically accepts the signal from the computer but doesn't change anything because it can't it's just a dummy shock.
the resistor is a specific "ohm" that the computer see's and accept's as "normal" therefore it thinks everything is fine and dandy.

if you just throw any old shock on there with no resistor or if the resistor is not the correct ohm or fails, the computer see's it as a open circuit and can or will throw a error message

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Research z55 / z95 / AutoRide / Magneride bypass “still have codes after bypass/resistors added”.

The replacement struts from GM have a lifetime guarantee. They do go on sale during the holidays.

The info your looking for is what Delphi techs pioneered and still selling. It’s proprietary info they hold sacred so they can recapture their R&D and technology in creating their product. Could you figure it out? Sure, eventually, but I sure won’t guess on how long it’d take.

Either…

* Sell the truck with bad shocks and make some good $ to buy a Non z55 vehicle.
* Replace your z55 struts one more time to get lifetime z55 struts.
* Jerryrig hydraulic struts and hobby resistors into the system. Chase DTC, add more codes to pop up in the dash and time wasted.

Good Lord, it has Cadillac’s first Gen z55 air and active suspension guaranteed for life. I’d guess $180-$250 per corner, one more time, bolt on, bolt off in back. Really? The same GM struts were $500 ea 10 years ago. What gives?

OP
OP
Grady_Wilson

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
I plan on replacing the rears with some Arnott shocks as they seem to be the closest to the AC Delco shocks but without the sticker shock.

I will keep an eye out for a sale on the front struts this holiday season.
A lifetime warranty sounds good to me. I normally purchase Monroe shocks and struts for my other vehicles because they also have a lifetime warranty. Replacing them costs only my time.

As someone in the IT world, I wanted to know what the exact logic process was and how everything operated.
Not that I was going to make drastic changes to the system, but I want to understand how the system functions.
This not only allows me to make better decisions on replacement parts but also during troubleshooting when things go wrong.

Is there a device that is sold that will read any error conditions or codes in the Autoride system?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Tech2 scanner or the newest GM software depending on what year you have. TECH2 supports up to 2011 I believe.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Gotcha, our 08 YXL Denali rode like a dream after the rears were replaced with a new compressor. GM hadn’t enacted their lifetime guarantee back then, but the ride quality, I feel, was far better than Cadillac’s z95 / Magneride system of the same era they added in 09.

As easy as they are to replace in back, lifetime up on your purchase. They’re unpredictable and if you’re Denali operates in Denali vs. SoCal like ours, it will be sooner than later due to the extremes.

Lifetime guarantee is pretty nice when you’ve got weeks or months to a payday and you can yank off a rear bad strut in 10 min, walk into the parts Dept and swap for a new one in 5 minutes. Ship happens. One boulder or 4x4 wood block off a Semi truck can take out any strut in a second.

I getcha on budget and learned fast on how fast Murphy’s Law can get you on mechanicals. As far as Delphi / now BMI info on algorithms for the active struts you may find more info on them from other applications where Ferrari, Audi or Ford used them.

OP
OP
Grady_Wilson

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far.

From all the service records and from everything I have seen on the truck, it was always dealer serviced so it has all AC Delco / BMI parts.
The left rear shock is starting to leak just a little so I wanted to do some research on the entire system before replacing both rears.

And, as I mentioned, I wanted to get a better understanding of how the entire system operates should the truck start to throw any errors.
Troubleshooting is so much easier when you understand how everything operates and works together.

Are there any particular brands of Tech2 scanners that are recommended?
I've had various scanners going all the way back to the OBD I days, so I've had Autel, Launch and Actron scanners along with various blue tooth adapters that connected to the Torque app.
My most used scanner now is my Launch CRP429C.
But, since it is no longer getting updates, and some new scanners come with lifetime updates, I am not adverse to researching and buying another scanner if it will fit my needs with my Denali.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar