Engine issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leroy stephenson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2001 tahoe ls is overheating and I am trying to figure out what it could be. Also I had to change my knockers and I had one of the manifold bolts break on me I got most of it out however there is a tiny piece i cant get out and i also messed up and I made the bolt hole wider when trying to easy out the bolt thread. How do I fix the hole and get the rest of the bolt out ?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drill out, cut a new thread, and screw in a repair thread insert. This will only work well, with the cylinder head installed, if you have enough space to work.

What means overheating? Do you have to high temperature on the gauge, or is a really to hot? Did you change the thermostat?

OP
OP
L

Leroy stephenson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Drill out, cut a new thread, and screw in a repair thread insert. This will only work well, with the cylinder head installed, if you have enough space to work.

What means overheating? Do you have to high temperature on the gauge, or is a really to hot? Did you change the thermostat?
Its overheating but I am not leaking coolant and my clutch fan dosent always turn on

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, start by replacing the fan clutch if it's not working...and go from there.

Welding a washer/nut on the broken bolt works. I've done this before, but on engines that have been out of the vehicle or heads on workbench.

You can remove the wheel plastic shield and tire and get a direct access. Still seems like a challenging order.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its overheating but I am not leaking coolant and my clutch fan dosent always turn on
But it still doesn't say, if it is a problem of the temperature sensor, which means coolant has the right temperature, but the Gauge and your ECM has the wrong temperature. That can happen, because our cars have only one temperature sensor.

Or is it really a too hot engine? Like when the coolant boil out of the reservoir?

That is the first question, when you have a too hot engine. Is it too hot, or does it show it is too hot?

But, by the way, when you're fan sometimes, doesn't turn on, it is clear with your engine turns to hot. I mean for what else is the fan necessary, than to cool a to hot engine? :cool:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The clutch fan should always spin with the engine running. When the engine is cold and not running, one should be able to spin the fan blades somewhat freely. When the engine is warmed up (but not running) the fan blades should be difficult to turn, since the clutch should be engaged.

OP
OP
L

Leroy stephenson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
But it still doesn't say, if it is a problem of the temperature sensor, which means coolant has the right temperature, but the Gauge and your ECM has the wrong temperature. That can happen, because our cars have only one temperature sensor.

Or is it really a too hot engine? Like when the coolant boil out of the reservoir?

That is the first question, when you have a too hot engine. Is it too hot, or does it show it is too hot?

But, by the way, when you're fan sometimes, doesn't turn on, it is clear with your engine turns to hot. I mean for what else is the fan necessary, than to cool a to hot engine? :cool:
The coolant is literally boiling out through the overflow yesterday i had coolant all over my engine and i thought a hose came of but all hoses were still on

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before even attempting diagnostics, replace the coolant reservoir cap.
Also, replace your fan clutch, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, and coolant already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayden0529