What’s this noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it just me? sounds like 2 different noises from possibly 2 different sources in the video clip

i only ask and resurrect this post as it applies.

the very audible, high-pitched “tiktiktik” on the top end & then a dull, low mechanical/metallic sound in the background at engine level.

i’ve had the tiktiktik what seems like ever since i replaced the spark plugs & wires, or soon after. that was 2.9 years ago.

the lower, metallic noise sounds like my power steering pump.

always wondered what that top-end TIKTIKTIK noise is. i reseated all of the spark plug wires a few different times.

(factory spec SP, a/m ebay wires, grease in SP caps)

when you are under the hood, to me it sounded like the electricity jumping from the spark plug but listening to it on video gives that noise a more isolated tone also mechanical in nature.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You usually nail down that kind of ticking to manifold gasket leaks, lifters or spark plugs that are loose. Someone else on here might have another idea about your ticking.

For manifold gaskets: While it is running see if the ticking is same/different on each side. That could help determine if it is that or which side may be leaking.

You already tightened the spark plugs and reseated the boots, so most likely not that.

There is also a common service bulletin:

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 8.51.16 AM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10