Well, what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, as @donjetman said, the recovery machine does not remove hardly any oil, if any, at all. If a compressor is replaced, all the manufacturers that I ever saw always said to replace the accumulator and orifice and flush the system or the warranty would not be applied if needed on the compressor. Flushing the solvent thru the system, under pressure, grabs oil that is hanging on in the system at the condenser, evaporator and lines/hoses. Then I would blow out the system with metered air pressure. I always knew what was shipped in the new/reman compressor and then added rest of oil in the accumulator and very small amounts in the condenser and evaporator but those were not as important as getting the correct amount in the entire system. I then always evacuated for 2 hours in the humid climate of the Midwest. Then a 1/2 hour just holding vacuum. Almost forgot, I replaced external switches too. Sound expensive? It is. But not as expensive as the whole system replacement but if you do all the labor, it is not so bad.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recovery machine does NOT remove all the oil.

Years ago, when I changed out a frozen compressor on our 02 Surburban, I didn't have a recovery machine. I opened all lines and blew a solvent thru them that's designed for the job, then compressed air, then buttoned everything up, installed new compressor and accumulator/dryer. The new compressor had oil in it. I followed the directions that came with the compressor/accumulator/dryer kit. I honestly can't remember if it said to add additional oil into the accumulator or not? Anyway I vaccuumed down the system(no leaks) and added R134. The result was awesome. I hope this helps
Thank Don! We're not replacing the compressor this go round, just the condenser and accumulator. Well, I bought an accumulator but haven't decided if I'm going to change it out or not. Bought some GM compressor oil and discovered that its set up to be added under pressure with a caulking type gun. So I'll either get the J-Tool or figure something out with the manifold. Yes, there are instructions on how much oil to add when you drain each component from the shop manual.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, as @donjetman said, the recovery machine does not remove hardly any oil, if any, at all. If a compressor is replaced, all the manufacturers that I ever saw always said to replace the accumulator and orifice and flush the system or the warranty would not be applied if needed on the compressor. Flushing the solvent thru the system, under pressure, grabs oil that is hanging on in the system at the condenser, evaporator and lines/hoses. Then I would blow out the system with metered air pressure. I always knew what was shipped in the new/reman compressor and then added rest of oil in the accumulator and very small amounts in the condenser and evaporator but those were not as important as getting the correct amount in the entire system. I then always evacuated for 2 hours in the humid climate of the Midwest. Then a 1/2 hour just holding vacuum. Almost forgot, I replaced external switches too. Sound expensive? It is. But not as expensive as the whole system replacement but if you do all the labor, it is not so bad.
Thank Ron. I'll look into doing the flush and ask my new favorite mechanic.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I always seem to open my big mouth and get busier with stories from my shop days. Just remember, my way is never the only way but my way was what I was taught and adapted and refined and seemed to show as successful and had very few problems over all those years in the shops. Wish I knew as much as the newer techs did but I still live and learn here on the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts