Well, what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been really hot here, with no end in sight.

I have zero doubt what I would do, I would replace it all with OE parts.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re vacuuming the system down and it’s holding then I would assume you are overcharging the system when you’re adding refrigerant, causing a leak…
Well, the system calls for 3 pounds and we used four 12 ounce cans.

Maybe the O ring got pinched causing it to still leak?
I thought that, but they have metal in them and appear to be non-directional as well.

When you created the vacuum and got to the reading you wanted, how long did you turn off the pump and watch the vacuum needle?
About an hour give or take.

Swath...hope whatever you done in the hospital had a good outcome.
Yeah, I lived! LOL

It has been really hot here, with no end in sight.

I have zero doubt what I would do, I would replace it all with OE parts.
Well, they are going to be OE parts if necessary. I guess what it comes down to, should I take it apart twice or once? I don't know why I'm fretting over $300 in parts when my wife spends like a sailor on liberty!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Off the subject just a little. Before I moved here 26 years ago, my shops did a lot of a/c work. This was during the time that they were changing over from R-12 to R134A and that was supposed to help protect the ozone layer. All good, I can accept that. But, in order to charge an a/c system, the tech that charged the system had to have a special license, at least in Mo. anyway. If the authorities found you charging a vehicle with R12 or R134A without a license, there was a big $ fine. I have not seen any special license for a/c systems since I left KC, Mo.

It was all about the charging of the system. Anyone could replace parts but the charging had to be by a special a/c license holder.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the line is cracked and it's not the O-ring.

They recommend holding a vacuum for 12hrs or overnight… especially if your having issues like your having.

It's leaking at the connection, both before and after replacing the gasket. I reckon one or the other has become mis-shapen so we'll replace them both. You can tell its here and nowhere else because of all the bright green refrigerant.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It is possible to pull a vacuum and have it hold indefinitely until the system is under pressure again. At least you’ve located the source. So far the dealership would have charged you about $2k and you would have been back with an inoperable a/c at least once.

This is stuff to keep you preoccupied w/ other stuff if you’re the hospital again. Take care!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts