Water stuck in door panel? 2014 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They get stuck sometimes under the bottom door seal big black plastic strip thing.

TahoeCCS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Count me among the latest Tahoe owners OUTRAGED about avoidable RUST.
Here I've tried to take care and make this vehicle last a long time.
Just found this rust streamer, and have read the Forum to see it's a common problem.

Those drains are poorly designed as well as inadequate for the amount of water and dirt they have to pass. They could have made a slot instead of a round hole so that even if there's debris the water could wick down and out. Also, with the "rake" of the Tahoe, at least on my 2014, the door and sill are a few degrees tilted to the front, so only the front hole is doing most of the work. I just cleared mine with a plastic sprayhead extender and am thinking about spraying some lightweight anti-rust (Boeshield) in there just to coat the metal.

Door.jpg

Ont240

Reaction score
Not an uncommon problem with many manufacturers.
Water typically gets in at the lower window seal even though it looks tight. A driving rain can easily cause this.
As mentioned the bottom door weather seal can close the hole. Using a small slot screw driver, gently pry the opening a little wider or drill an added hole at the back where the rubber stops.
I work at a rust control shop that does oiling and undercoating. We typically remove any bottom plugs

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, in reference to this, basically I’m trying to figure out if I can drill that hole, bigger on the bottom, somehow clean that out all that mud, and figure out where the water is getting in.
Water naturally gets in past the window seal. It's not 100 tight, so there are drain holes in the doors. I've had the same issue in the past on my 2003, 2008, and 2017. Some were self inflicted by rust proofing goo that migrated down in hot weather and created a tub stopper.....just poke around with a good 90 degree pick, or blow some air in there once it drains out. Drilling bigger/additional holes is an option too. But, if you live in a salt state, then that will encourage rust to form quickly if you don't coat it in some sort of oil.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an uncommon problem with many manufacturers.
Water typically gets in at the lower window seal even though it looks tight. A driving rain can easily cause this.
As mentioned the bottom door weather seal can close the hole. Using a small slot screw driver, gently pry the opening a little wider or drill an added hole at the back where the rubber stops.
I work at a rust control shop that does oiling and undercoating. We typically remove any bottom plugs
I just removed the lower trim to ensure drainage. It’s not a weather seal anyway.

IMG_3563.jpeg

Reaction score
I just remove the oval rubber plug that's under that plastic trim and keep them out. I believe the front doors have 2, or maybe my rear doors have 2 due to the extra length. I did this 5-6 years ago after first getting it

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to me the other day. I undid the weather stripping and parked on an incline it all came out. I fluid film everything once a year to prevent rust.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can go fishing in there if it's full.

Oh yeah I know. When I first got mine the one door sounded like a fish tank sloshing around. I'm wondering what the purpose of those lower strips are. To keep road wash from splashing up? Do they help with wind/road noise? They are kind of annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigchad1