Wanting a PPV for the wrong reasons.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

buddyhotrod

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing a few PPV Tahoe’s pop up on CL that are completely decked out with full Whelen light bars red and blues siren and so on.

The ads typically read as if the seller is letting people know “hey this is police ready”.

Seems that police package would only appeal to security type buyers.
Even then I’m pretty sure security would only want to use amber.

Possible could be used for state contract work for highway construction or state contract work where a road needs to be blocked off for repair.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local news last night carried a story of a couple who were pulled over by a vehicle with flashing lights and then robbed by two masked men.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been seeing a few PPV Tahoe’s pop up on CL that are completely decked out with full Whelen light bars red and blues siren and so on.

The ads typically read as if the seller is letting people know “hey this is police ready”.

Seems that police package would only appeal to security type buyers.
Even then I’m pretty sure security would only want to use amber.

Possible could be used for state contract work for highway construction or state contract work where a road needs to be blocked off for repair.

A lot of that depends on the state they are in, and the level of security/enforcement they offer, but yes, usually a single-color light pattern on the vehicle is all that's legal unless you're a full-fledged LEO.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local news last night carried a story of a couple who were pulled over by a vehicle with flashing lights and then robbed by two masked men.

If the lights come on behind you, and you're in a secluded area, NEVER stop, but turn on your flashers and drive to a well-lit parking lot, or other public place. If you have a passenger, have them call 911 to see if you're actually being pursued, and if not, report the situation and request police.

Denslow Burhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s really cool

That system should also have a carbon dioxide detector and do the same things if the sensor detects carbon dioxide or excessive temps for the k9.

If carbon dioxide is detected it should also page you and sound the alarm and drop the windows and run the k9 window fans.

You might want to make sure you have that if you are using your K-9 unit for transporting k9s.

I do, and they work. Thanks!

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how easily LE vehicles should be identifiable. It's about public safety, right? They do this in Europe.

My brother and I used to argue about this, back when he was a cop.

He said unmarked cars were about safety, because he could get closer to bad guys before he was 'made'.

I said they were about revenue, because an easily seen police car would act as a deterrent, even if the cop didn't see the bad guy doing bad.

joe

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
I bought mine for work. The laws are simple. Just look up the light codes for your state. It's not rocket science. If you want to build a tribute truck that's fine.you can. Just follow the light codes for your state. Being on here and reading these posts is just like a lot of feds I run into that don't keep up on the ATFE statutes on weapons and their functions.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Buy the way, the OP needs to know, Cops aren't the only ones that use this vehicle. Just because you have a ppv or ssv decked out doesn't mean you are a cop. Now if he is going to pick on those who have a tahoe that may look like a tribute truck or something, remember those who have a black and white tahoe even without decals is a dead giveaway for a police tahoe regardless for stickers or not. Now I'm not a hater to each their own. I honestly dont care about what others do with there tahoes I have more pressing things to worry about..

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine for work. The laws are simple. Just look up the light codes for your state. It's not rocket science. If you want to build a tribute truck that's fine.you can. Just follow the light codes for your state. Being on here and reading these posts is just like a lot of feds I run into that don't keep up on the ATFE statutes on weapons and their functions.
What line of work are you in where you need 8 light bars and rear flashing lights?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9