Wanting a PPV for the wrong reasons.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buddyhotrod

Reaction score
I have noticed others who own PPV vehicles and seem to have one goal in mind and that is to make their PPV look and function in every way as a real Police car, outfitting them with red and blue flashing lights with working spotlights and even going as far as buying the rear pillar mounts for the strobes.

My Tahoe and pretty much all retired Police Tahoes still have the wig wag wires for the front and rear.
I know my Tahoe has the wig wag wires but I do not want to hook them up. Ive thought about just hooking up the rears so that when I put my flashers on the rear tail lights will wig wag, but only for safety purposes, like getting a flat on the highway or breaking down on the road. But after talking with some of the other techs its not even a good idea to do that.
For that matter Ive also disconnected my spotlight.

Im pretty sure it is a Felony to impersonate a police officer and Im not sure why anyone would even want anything else on a retired police Tahoe than what is on them from the Auction.

I understand that various security companies will use the retired Police Tahoes and use the light bars and wig wags along with other "Amber" lights but anyone wanting to use red and blues is just asking for trouble.

For me the benefit of owning a retired PPV vehicle is the suspension, zero parameters on the ECM, dual batteries, high amp alternator and the rear axle gears being 373. Not to mention having every single maintenance record for that vehicle since new.
My retired Police Tahoe is a fun daily commuter that I can enjoy driving to and from work, I would have a corvette except im too Big to fit into a corvette.

I think if someone is so obsessed with being a police officer then they should just go join a department and be one.

All of us in this particular forum own a retired PPV's and I think its a good idea to talk about what is the responsible way to conduct ourselves and not make a bad name for our retired PPV community.

discussion?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with the wig wag, plenty of farm and construction crews do that to their work trucks for safety/better visibility. Running the original cop tires and wheels is fine too, it's still a performance truck and some fellas on here race them. Nothing wrong with the old spotlight either so long as its used within the law.

It's not ok to run cop lights or pull people over or have loud hailers with sirens and use it on the public.

Denslow Burhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 2011 Tahoe PPV fully equipped (but light-disabled) for two reasons specifically. To appear as law enforcement at my church entrance and to transport my K-9's safely to and from work.

First, the safety that the fully operational kennel offers my pups and me is A+. I have the Ray Allen with the F3 system, fully functioning and I use it with the operational safety protocol used by LE agencies (like checking on them personally every 30 minutes). I have the pager, it alarms (pager and horn), drops the rear windows, and deploys them if ignored.

Second, I am the lead of my church security team. Since we have no regular attendance of a current LEO in our congregation, this vehicle, when parked appropriately, provides a clear and present deterrent to any potential attacker. It's presence also provides a physical obstruction to the front doors of our foyer. All in all, it's simply the look, but is also equipped completely with all the gear except comm. Not even a scanner. BTW, it's blues, reds, and all strobes are deactivated. I don't want to be a police officer or deputy, or anything else LE-wise. I've had multiple interactions with my local LEO's and they all to a man have supported my effort, even calling it a great idea.

Great discussion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

buddyhotrod

Reaction score
That’s really cool

That system should also have a carbon dioxide detector and do the same things if the sensor detects carbon dioxide or excessive temps for the k9.

If carbon dioxide is detected it should also page you and sound the alarm and drop the windows and run the k9 window fans.

You might want to make sure you have that if you are using your K-9 unit for transporting k9s.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of wished mine was bright pink at times.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with the wig wag, plenty of farm and construction crews do that to their work trucks for safety/better visibility. Running the original cop tires and wheels is fine too, it's still a performance truck and some fellas on here race them. Nothing wrong with the old spotlight either so long as its used within the law.

It's not ok to run cop lights or pull people over or have loud hailers with sirens and use it on the public.

A little sense goes a long way.

joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts