Fixing for a friend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If any of you guys can help me track this leak down I’d appreciate it.
The 07 6.2L Yukon Denali, and many other GM products of the era, came from the factory with a poorly designed pcv/valve cover on the driverside.
In 2014 GM finalized a Technical Servce Bulletin TSB 10-06-01-008M that addresses the valve cover/pvc and several other problems.
The poorly designed pvc/valve cover caused my rear main seal to leak. It also was sucking so much oil out of the engine my piston rings where stuck.
I performed the GM TSB:
https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

OP
OP
T

Toyotaguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 07 6.2L Yukon Denali, and many other GM products of the era, came from the factory with a poorly designed pcv/valve cover on the driverside.
In 2014 GM finalized a Technical Servce Bulletin TSB 10-06-01-008M that addresses the valve cover/pvc and several other problems.
The poorly designed pvc/valve cover caused my rear main seal to leak. It also was sucking so much oil out of the engine my piston rings where stuck.
I performed the GM TSB:
https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

Well the good news is I got her Grand Am back to where it is safe to drive so she can drive something.
As far as the Yukon goes —- when I started it up today the transmission was making an awful squealing and rattling noise while in park. I took some pictures of the pan that pretty clearly show it hasn’t been removed in years and had her send them to the guy who supposedly fixed the solenoid and did a flush and filter. He didn’t say much other than he knew the transmission was toast and gave her the money back for the work that he never did. Then he offered to rebuild it for $600. *******. People like that belong in jail.
As far as the leaks go? I’ll post some pics but there are at least several. The main drips (about 3 drops/second) are coming off the starter bolt and I wasn’t able to see much directly behind that. I didn’t see any fluid flowing above that but there is plenty of fresh oil all the way up to the valve covers on both sides.
I didn’t see anything coming off the oil cooler lines or block connector and the filter seemed to not be leaking but who knows for sure. I suspect that the rear main seal is leaking too but really hard to determine how much at this point. I think the oil pan gasket is also leaking from the front. And since the transmission is toast the leaks can get fixed when the transmission gets pulled if that’s the route she wants to go and if the engine is still good.

As far as the PCV goes her oil filler neck was cracked and just shoved into the valve cover and wobbling around. I just took it out and screwed the cap into the valve cover for now. The PCV itself probably works fine but the grommets are definitely shot.

My advice to her was to sell it as a parts vehicle and make sure the buyer knows everything before she destroys the engine completely. Maybe too late anyway. I see things on my pics I didn’t notice when I was under there.

Let me know if you guys spot anything and I appreciate the use of your knowledge. Sorry I’m not a good photographer. Oil kept getting all over my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_8719.jpeg
    IMG_8719.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8717.jpeg
    IMG_8717.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8713.jpeg
    IMG_8713.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8721.jpeg
    IMG_8721.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
T

Toyotaguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well the good news is I got her Grand Am back to where it is safe to drive so she can drive something.
As far as the Yukon goes —- when I started it up today the transmission was making an awful squealing and rattling noise while in park. I took some pictures of the pan that pretty clearly show it hasn’t been removed in years and had her send them to the guy who supposedly fixed the solenoid and did a flush and filter. He didn’t say much other than he knew the transmission was toast and gave her the money back for the work that he never did. Then he offered to rebuild it for $600. *******. People like that belong in jail.
As far as the leaks go? I’ll post some pics but there are at least several. The main drips (about 3 drops/second) are coming off the starter bolt and I wasn’t able to see much directly behind that. I didn’t see any fluid flowing above that but there is plenty of fresh oil all the way up to the valve covers on both sides.
I didn’t see anything coming off the oil cooler lines or block connector and the filter seemed to not be leaking but who knows for sure. I suspect that the rear main seal is leaking too but really hard to determine how much at this point. I think the oil pan gasket is also leaking from the front. And since the transmission is toast the leaks can get fixed when the transmission gets pulled if that’s the route she wants to go and if the engine is still good.

As far as the PCV goes her oil filler neck was cracked and just shoved into the valve cover and wobbling around. I just took it out and screwed the cap into the valve cover for now. The PCV itself probably works fine but the grommets are definitely shot.

My advice to her was to sell it as a parts vehicle and make sure the buyer knows everything before she destroys the engine completely. Maybe too late anyway. I see things on my pics I didn’t notice when I was under there.

Let me know if you guys spot anything and I appreciate the use of your knowledge. Sorry I’m not a good photographer. Oil kept getting all over my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_8711.jpeg
    IMG_8711.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 3

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of something you can break dropping a tranny pan to cause a bad oil leak.

I kinda got nothing. maybe just coincidence it started around the same thing? a qt ever 20 miles sounds to me like something pressurized more so than just a leak from splashing around.

the oil pressure sensor behind the intake has been known to leak, maybe the plastic connector broke off and it's a full on pressure leak?

I don't know, does it seem worse on the passenger or drivers side. drivers side above the oil filter can leak pretty good sometimes.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pic doesn't look like that bad of an oil leak to me, I think at this point most of these engines leak that much, I know mind does and I'm not even close to it being enough to fix it yet haha.

guys might be on to something that it's burning a lot of oil.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

Looks like a valve cover gasket on one of the pictures, but could be a combination of that and the valley pan gasket.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I scrolled pasted all the pics. I just saw the one of the valve. cover.

glad you got her grand am going, cause don't think this one is going much more.

if she keeps it, make sure they do the rear main seal and rear cover plate gasket along with oil pan while the granny is out and go from there.

good luck.