Want to replace your backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for putting the effort into this post

Been a few years, but I read this thread a couple of times while searching for DIY instructions for replacing/troubleshooting backup camera on a 2011 Yukon XL.

Checked the fuse. Good. Checked the mirror power. Good. There is some control module somewhere apparently, didn't find that..I assumed also good. Then took a leap of faith and figured that somehow the camera just simply went on the fritz after 8 years.

NoWayMan, your suggestion to look on eBay was gold. I found an applique for cheaper than I could find a replacement camera (which as we can deduce from the posts above was never meant to be replaced) and that saved not only money, but a huge amount of time.

Next, I found this video and it walked step by step through the removal and install.

I suspect there were a few edits made to the video where he was cursing at whoever put the locktite on some of the threads, but it all came out OK and I broke nothing in the end.

Good luck to whoever finds themselves in a similar position. It's not so scary a procedure after all!

bryand1963

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to add an additional backup camera to my trailer by installing the exact same backup camera as factory supplied and wire it in with a switch to select the trailer camera.
I just need an OEM or equivalent camera (easy to get), and connectors to tap into the original harness and a convenient place to install the switch.
Has anyone done something like this?
Or I could possibly use a wireless camera and then just need selector switch where the cables come up to the display in the dashboard.
Has anyone tried this? Ideas?
Bryan
2012 GMC Yukon Denali

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz