Want To Buy but Question About Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidzog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've wanted an Escalade forever, but they all run well over 100-150,000 miles for what I can afford. I found an 07 that had an original sticker of $64,000 with 96,000 miles and bought it, but I know I paid too dammm much ($16,000). The vehicle is tight and smooth and quiet and nice. After two week the suspension failed so I replaced it all with non-air shocks and KYB front struts....about $500. I changed all the fluids and hoses, and have had zero trouble since.

Last week I bought an 07 Yukon with 172,000 miles and a ticking engine (got it from my boss)...yep, AFM crap! But, for $1,000, I could not turn it down - he was going to junk it. It runs ok, actually, though it ticks on the left bank. After about 30 miles, the oil pressure drops to zero....shut if off and immediately restart it, and the oil pressure jumps back up to 35 pounds. I ordered an AFM delete kit with cam and oil pump from AMS racing for $665. Hopefully, that's all it needs to get it going. But it is a $9,000 truck if it runs good. Again, the rest of the truck is tight and the interior is like new. No rust, no dings, just a nice vehicle. I figure I'll wind up putting less than $3,000 into it and have a great vehicle....when looking for an Escalade, I've seen many of these trucks with over 300,000 miles and still running strong.

Funny thing....my wife absolutely hates the Escalade, but she can't wait for me to get the Yukon going so we can get rid of the Toyota mini van...it has 140,000 and runs like new!!! I keep telling her that they are THE SAME TRUCK!!!!

I was at the Chevrolet dealer a few weeks ago picking up some parts....dropped into the showroom and they had a Suburban for over $90,000 and a lifted decked out Silverado dually for over $105,000 (with a lot of aftermarket options: wheels, tires, lift kit, bumpers, etc.). Drive it off the lot and it's only worth $75,000. How crazy has the world become?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I found an 07 that had an original sticker of $64,000 with 96,000 miles and bought it, but I know I paid too dammm much ($16,000).

Location is a factor in car values and I don't know where you live, but off the top of my head I don't think you paid too much at all for your Escalade. I got my '08 Tahoe LTZ with 142K miles for $15,250, and that was a pretty decent deal compared to everything else in my area at the time.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Funny thing....my wife absolutely hates the Escalade, but she can't wait for me to get the Yukon going so we can get rid of the Toyota mini van...it has 140,000 and runs like new!!! I keep telling her that they are THE SAME TRUCK!!!!..

Yes my wife is kinda the same, we had a 95 Tahoe, and now a 07 Yukon XL I didn't think there was a big size difference til a 90's Tahoe parked next to us.
The yukon hood seems about 6-8inches higher(of course it's longer too) I'm going to outfit the yukon with either a bird view 360 cam setup or some good lane change cams.

We do miss our Sienna Minivan though, can't beat the gas mileage plus roominess.

davidzog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AHHHHHHHH....we also have a 2006 Sienna limited that we bought used last February with 124,000. I replaced the struts, timing belt, water pump rear shocks, changed all the fluids and belts and hoses. I think it is the ugliest vehicle on the road, but I would not trade or sell it. It hauls more than my last pickup since it's taller than a pickup bed. We drive the he!! out of it....every weekend we go to the lake....3 hours each way. At 139,500 I did replace the intermediate steering shaft (warn u-joints).

It is comfortable, quiet, dependable and solid...just ugly. I read where a cab company in California only used Siennas, and many have over 300,000 with the original engine and transmission. The only real drawback is that many things are very difficult to replace....timing belt took a day and a half, and I'm a pretty competent mechanic.

Anyway, not trying to steal this thread...just that I keep the Sienna in case the Escalade craps out....hahaha

Awfiretto

Reaction score
Same exact situation about 5 months ago!

Wanted a Tahoe... so did my best to work it in our budget of 18k ish.

I knew any used vehicle was going to need some “TLC” to get it where I wanted it. No matter what dealer, no one would care about the small stuff like the truck owner does.

Found a 07 LT (lll) 4WD - 104k miles for $13,500. Talked them to $13k +$800 for the sales tax TX (no income tax yal.. pay to play)

Considering all other Tahoe’s were 125k plus for $18k + for any LT or up, I decided to take the DIY fix er up and as long as I didn’t exceed my budget I made out.

I’ve done the following “maintenance” to it:

- Spark Plugs and wires - $160

- Motor mounts L/R $850 (parts + labor)

- Serpentine Belt $100

- power seat passenger slider (***** yard diy) $280

- rear window switch (junk yard) $30

- tire balance $60

- ALL fluids (coolant/trans/diff/transfer case/oil) $500ish

- AC coolant charge $85

- BCM $600

- Battery $114

- AC blower motor/resistor (from leaking water) $85 / $35

- Chased leaking water to cowl and door sills - time frustrations and $10 in silicone

-door lock actuator passenger front $45 (only because I wanted the light and door open close switch to work)

And the following “improvements”

-iSimple Bluetooth module $85

-windshield and rear windows ceramic tint $500 (worth it in TX)

-HIDs low beam and Fogs $80 and 2 hours

-All LED bulbs $100ish (love the switch back turn signals)

-Dual Dash cam $130

- extra FOB and Key $25

-air raid intake tube $160 (love)

-high flow drop in air filter $55

-usb replacement cigarette lighter chargers $35

-leather steering wrap $20 and patience

- tightened plastic around wheels and bumper

+$200 in random tools/cleaners/accessories ect.

So... I came close to the 18k (well actually to scared to tally it) but I know my truck well now and I’m pretty sure it runs better than 95% of the Tahoe’s out there. And I’m sure I would have at least HALF of the above buying a truck for $18k with 140k miles on it.

Only outstanding “could use/eventually need” items left

-upper ball joints $500 parts ... diy to save $$ (showing signs but still operational)

-(I think) wheel bearings (very very very subtle noise from front left) but when I dig into upper ball joints I will do that

-passenger folding mirror (too pricey to fix even diy)

-drivers bottom heated seat element

-rear hatch door switch (same problem as front passenger door)

Only “wish” is I would have gone 09 if I could’ve afforded it. Both for the updated OnStar/Entertainment/ and most important 6 speed transmission... the 4 speed is underwhelming at times overwhelming at others.

Remember... the sticker in 07 for a loaded luxury 4WD beast with towing up to 8k lbs was $48k plus ... so in 11 years... it was still worth some money. And honestly if I didn’t get the Tahoe I wouldn’t have even close to half the vehicle we do have, and I also wouldn’t have considered any other full size due to mileage and problems.. the HOE was worth it for me. But if it wasn’t, I would have went with the “within my means” or “logical” girlfriend —- a 2017 Ford Escape with 15k miles on it for $18k like my buddy did ... but when we pull into work... or when we take a work outing ... The HOE is always the first choice.

I wanted a Solid V8 - serious off road capabilities - towing - big - power - leather - Bose system - loaded with full size adults comfortable - TRUCK —— can’t beat it for what I paid

Hope that helps you 73a33657b84a672c44b88c635e8b0886.jpg
06948AA9-531F-48D4-A114-92D25F55D615.jpeg 91A60705-9AAE-4718-8B85-CB224ACD3EBC.jpeg

Awfiretto

Reaction score
Last thought ... when you actually do find an open dirt or sand area to “floor it in 4 wheel” like Randy Houser mentions in his song “how country feels”... it’s priceless.. grinning ear to ear right now at the laughter and fun my family had the first time and every time after. Also co workers.

Recommended to turn off traction AND stabilitrak to rotate easily.

Another last thought... no doubt for my family’s safety in this thing. Stabilitrak is incredible. I’ve pushed it intentionally to test it late at night on wet roads and it does a great job of keeping the truck on the road or where you want it to go.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Last week I bought an 07 Yukon with 172,000 miles and a ticking engine...

As for the ticking, double check the header bolts... my 07 had two bolts sheared off(pretty common in these) the exhaust leak sounded very tick tick ticking..been perfect ever since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10