Want To Buy but Question About Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hey Jim, Per your own words, "I'm 56 yrs old and come from an era where you NEVER bought nor kept a car with over 100k miles". My advise is to not change now. No SUV is worth investing 20k of your hard earned money in that has 100k on it already.

If you want a vehicle that will nickle and dime you to death, then spend your money. I wanted to do the same thing when I was looking for a truck, but I thought about it and decided to look for a two or three year old truck with under 30k, and if you look hard enough, you will find one.

I purchased my truck as a certified pre-owned vehicle with only 17k on it, and man am I glad I did.
It came with a 100k drive-train warranty, and an additional bumper to bumper warranty to 100k or 6 years from the original in service date.

You're 56 yrs old, and don't change now and start buying someone else problems. No matter what others say, high miles equals high miles and a lot of unexpected repair bills that at the end of your use for the truck, will equal paying for a newer truck with a factory warranty.

By yourself a newer two or even three year old (only certified pre-owned) truck, and just look online at places like cars.com for a truck. I had to travel 250 miles to a dealer to pick up my truck, but it was two years old with only 17k on it. They are out there, you don't have to settle for an older truck and pay grand theft money for a wore out vehicle that still looks good.

Take it from a 60 year old man, My 2015 GMC Yukon (purchased it in 2017) was a much better buy in the long run, than a 2010 piece of crap that a dealer detailed and made it look good as new. There is a reason you have never purchased a 100k mile vehicle, and there really is no real reason to start now.

Last point, why would any man in his right mind, spend 20k on a truck with 100k miles on it, and then be told by the dealer that it is being sold as is and shown? There's a reason the dealer wont warranty the truck, because he knows it will be nothing but a money draining pit. So don't let the dealer be smarter than you are, you are the one with the money to spend, spend it wisely or put it back in the bank,

OLD WORE OUT TRUCKS THAT LOOK GOOD AS AS GOOD AS A OLD WOMAN THAT STILL LOOKS GOOD, IF YOU WANT HER OR THE TRUCK TO KEEP OPERATING, THEY WILL BOTH COST YOU LOTS OF HARD EARNED MONEY! And you can take that fact to the bank.

Just curious what your 2 yr old 17k mile truck cost since there was no mention of it in your post???

New/slightly used = DEFINITE money up front with eventual money for maintenance if you keep it long enough.

OR

Higher mileage used = POSSIBLE/EVENTUAL money down the road.

... you pay to play either way.

I'd rather have an older woman that knows what she is doing than to have to train a young one.... lol

Last edited:

bgbear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey folks, newb here. I've been wanting to buy a Tahoe but everything in my $20k or less price range all have well over 100k miles. Even higher price points have high miles.

My questions are -
1) where in the heck is everyone going where they all have that kind of mileage in a short amount of time?

2) at what point mileage wise do parts start needing replaced?

3) am I ok buying one with high miles?

I'm 56 yrs old and come from an era where you NEVER bought nor kept a car with over 100k miles. I know things are different these days. I've had two Grand Cherokees and a Trailblazer with over 150k miles but at that point come the $1,500 repairs.

Thanks
Jim
Apparently, they’re seeing the USA in their Chevrolet if you’re old enough to know where tha came from. I wonder about that too. My 96 Seville just turned over 88k and my 65 Corvette has 26k, but the Tahoe has a whopping 99! I have a friend that thinks 100k is low mileage! Change the oil and filters, get routine mantenance, should last 3 times that long. Use the good stuff, like Mobil1, and really good filters. If you tow, stay ahead of trans fluid changes. I’ve been looking into waterless coolant right now.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Apparently, they’re seeing the USA in their Chevrolet if you’re old enough to know where tha came from. I wonder about that too. My 96 Seville just turned over 88k and my 65 Corvette has 26k, but the Tahoe has a whopping 99! I have a friend that thinks 100k is low mileage! Change the oil and filters, get routine mantenance, should last 3 times that long. Use the good stuff, like Mobil1, and really good filters. If you tow, stay ahead of trans fluid changes. I’ve been looking into waterless coolant right now.

That's the thing right there...

You always hear the saying "they just don't make them liked they used to" and that is a very true statement.

They certainly don't have the style and cool factor of the cars from the 40's, 50's, 60's and the sheet metal certainly isn't as thick and heavy duty as they were back then.

BUT...

100k miles on one of those old cars and it was pretty well worn out. Today's vehicles don't even require a tune up/spark plug change for 100k miles. Technology has come a long ways from the old days, some for the better... some not... but I wouldn't be nearly as afraid to buy a GMT900 with 100k+ miles as I would be to buy a 60's or 70's era vehicle with the same mileage.

Just remember that maintenance goes a Looooong way in the over all condition of any vehicle.

usnret

Reaction score
Got my 2011 Tahoe with 125K and now have 170K. No problems at all, just do regular maintenance. Use it for towing and trips where the car won't hold a purchase. Live in the boondocks where the nearest grocery store is 20 miles away. Condition and maintenance count, not mileage. Would still have my 06 Tahoe with 240K if a tree hadn't fallen on it in a storm.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious what your 2 yr old 17k mile truck cost since there was no mention of it in your post???

Completely agree. I drive an '08 Denali fully loaded that just turned 137K. 3 years ago, I paid $24K for it at 84K miles and that included an after market warranty, which recently expired, but it covered almost everything but wear parts for 48K miles or 4 years. It's driving great and I used the warranty to address issues that came up getting me through the common 100 - 120K stuff. A newer, certified Denali at the time with maybe 25K fewer miles was in an entirely different league... WAY out of my price range. Research the vehicle (carfax and service records) and have it mechanically checked by a professional if not buying it from a dealer. Unlike others who find great private sales, I pay a bit more and buy from a reputable dealership that sells AND services preowned vehicles, inspecting and addressing any issues before it's put on their lot. I am surprised that someone on this forum would insist that at 56 years old you shouldn't buy a high mileage vehicle with the assumption that you are inheriting someone else's problems. Actually, people that can afford these vehicles new, often can afford to let them go and keep buying new. That's not me. I prefer to buy their leftovers. These vehicles can easily go over 200K with proper maintenance. I've actually heard of mind boggling miles in the 300K+ range.

KatGV

Reaction score
Hey folks, newb here. I've been wanting to buy a Tahoe but everything in my $20k or less price range all have well over 100k miles. Even higher price points have high miles.

My questions are -
1) where in the heck is everyone going where they all have that kind of mileage in a short amount of time?

2) at what point mileage wise do parts start needing replaced?

3) am I ok buying one with high miles?

I'm 56 yrs old and come from an era where you NEVER bought nor kept a car with over 100k miles. I know things are different these days. I've had two Grand Cherokees and a Trailblazer with over 150k miles but at that point come the $1,500 repairs.

Thanks
Jim

Purchased my 05 Tahoe new , have always had it serviced at the dealer . Had every little thing fixed through warranty when possible (my husband works at a dealer) didn't have any major issues . At 208K engine was getting worn some noise etc so we elected to replace. at 245K trans gave out and we replaced and just recently at 270K transfer case gave out and we replaced. We did these things because buying a NEW Tahoe these days are way out of our budget and the 05 still looks fairly new inside and besides a few small dents outside looks good. So NOW I basically have a new 05 since all these major replacements have been done( (less the rear end and drive shaft). It's really the luck of the draw weather the old owner took care of the vehicle or not and also if the vehicle was put together on Friday and workers wanted to go home. But if you can save for the time when these issues eventually come up you should be fine. This may or may not help your decision but just my 2 cents. K

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miles dont scare me, its just important to know what was recently replaced so you dont have to. Ofcourse a good test drive is critical to make sure no crazy noises are present. But if a car drove right,s ounded good, history on point and common expensive items were recently replaced (suspension, fluids mainly), it not only gives you confidence in what you dont have to worry about anytime soon but gives you an idea of how the previous owner treated the car. You cant tell if a car was raced or abused by just driving it but you can tell they loved their car by the maintenance that was done, especially recently.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...you don't have to settle for an older truck and pay grand theft money for a wore out vehicle that still looks good.

100K-150K on a GMT800 or '900 should not mean "wore out". If it is, then there's no doubt it was abused and, of course, should be avoided.

Take it from a 60 year old man, My 2015 GMC Yukon (purchased it in 2017) was a much better buy in the long run, than a 2010 piece of crap that a dealer detailed and made it look good as new.

Yes, some dealers do sketchy stuff to polish turds, but you can't generalize ALL older vehicles because of this. Especially when so many are buying these pretty 60K-, 70k-, 80K-dollar K2xx models cuz they want the newer stuff yet they're having to watch their transmissions, A/C condensers, trim pieces, electronics, etc. like a hawk to spot the first sign of a possible failure because they know there's a considerable chance one or more of these systems can flake at any time and they wanna catch it before their warranty is out. They also feel obligated to buy the extended warranty because they know they are at risk of a failure(s) rather than feeling confident that they spent big bucks to AVOID having such failures.

There is a reason you have never purchased a 100k mile vehicle, and there really is no real reason to start now.

I can think of quite a few reasons, the most prominent and directly relevant being that 100K miles on a modern vehicle is nothing like 100K on one 30-40+ years ago.

Last point, why would any man in his right mind, spend 20k on a truck with 100k miles on it, and then be told by the dealer that it is being sold as is and shown? There's a reason the dealer wont warranty the truck, because he knows it will be nothing but a money draining pit.

All used vehicles are sold "as-is and as-shown". However much the buyer pays (in the cost of the car, any additional warranties, etc.) is what determines how much the dealer will assist with issues. Hell, so many dealers do what they can to avoid upholding what they actually ARE responsible for.

I don't intend for this to come across as a one-sided slam against buying anything newer. But I felt some truths were stretched and some negatives were exaggerated.

Now, my view on newer versus older when it comes to "buying someone else's wore-out problem" is that the older ones and their issues are pretty much established and well-known and sound solutions have been determined. For the most part, the issues are easier to diagnose and cheaper to repair.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Hey Jim, Per your own words, "I'm 56 yrs old and come from an era where you NEVER bought nor kept a car with over 100k miles". My advise is to not change now. No SUV is worth investing 20k of your hard earned money in that has 100k on it already.

If you want a vehicle that will nickle and dime you to death, then spend your money. I wanted to do the same thing when I was looking for a truck, but I thought about it and decided to look for a two or three year old truck with under 30k, and if you look hard enough, you will find one.

I purchased my truck as a certified pre-owned vehicle with only 17k on it, and man am I glad I did.
It came with a 100k drive-train warranty, and an additional bumper to bumper warranty to 100k or 6 years from the original in service date.

You're 56 yrs old, and don't change now and start buying someone else problems. No matter what others say, high miles equals high miles and a lot of unexpected repair bills that at the end of your use for the truck, will equal paying for a newer truck with a factory warranty.

By yourself a newer two or even three year old (only certified pre-owned) truck, and just look online at places like cars.com for a truck. I had to travel 250 miles to a dealer to pick up my truck, but it was two years old with only 17k on it. They are out there, you don't have to settle for an older truck and pay grand theft money for a wore out vehicle that still looks good.

Take it from a 60 year old man, My 2015 GMC Yukon (purchased it in 2017) was a much better buy in the long run, than a 2010 piece of crap that a dealer detailed and made it look good as new. There is a reason you have never purchased a 100k mile vehicle, and there really is no real reason to start now.

Last point, why would any man in his right mind, spend 20k on a truck with 100k miles on it, and then be told by the dealer that it is being sold as is and shown? There's a reason the dealer wont warranty the truck, because he knows it will be nothing but a money draining pit. So don't let the dealer be smarter than you are, you are the one with the money to spend, spend it wisely or put it back in the bank,

OLD WORE OUT TRUCKS THAT LOOK GOOD AS AS GOOD AS A OLD WOMAN THAT STILL LOOKS GOOD, IF YOU WANT HER OR THE TRUCK TO KEEP OPERATING, THEY WILL BOTH COST YOU LOTS OF HARD EARNED MONEY! And you can take that fact to the bank.

Geeze, i was going to call BS on this post until the last paragraph! How can argue with reality? LOL!!!!!

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
However, After really looking hard i found a 08 yukon denali xl1500 awd with 125k miles at a dealer listed for $18,250!. Thats alot of money given the age and miles, But the car had been exclusively maintained by a dealer that documented everything. The car was commuted over 200 miles per day on ca freeways. It had two documented requests by the owner to inspect charging system which undoubtedly was relevant to RVC. Long story short, a battery current module some grounding and alternator and it is fixed. The one owner traded the denali and a cherokee in on a rangerover, ie" people with money to burn". he put thousands into the denali maintaining it, all drivetrain flushes, brakes/rotors, door lock actuators and on and on. We ended up out the door at $15k financed.We love this vehicle and are grateful that someone else could afford to buy a $52k vehicle, dump thousands into it as prescribed by maintanance and than pass it on to me for $15k. New vehicle car payments are SCARY, $700 to $1000+ per month and to much tech advances for me. Get a good used one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972