New to the forum - ready to buy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buckfutter

Reaction score
Whats up everyone !

I’ve had quite a few vehicles over the years, with the GM ones being a ‘77 GMC camper special,an ‘85 Cadillac Brougham (still going strong), a ‘87 Suburban that I converted into a 1 ton, a ‘93 GMC C2500 Sierra, a 2006 K1500, and my 2006 K2500HD Duramax that I’ve had 13 years. Odometer just turned a little over 210k - thing is unbelievable, little to no extra maintenance besides the basics.

My wife drives a R/T Challenger and we are about to have our first child. She was thinking more to the mid-size SUVs but from talking with a few of her friends, she now wants a full size - which I think is a way better option because ideally we’d like to have two kids. There’s only one option (well two). A Yukon or a Tahoe. So we’re currently looking at either a 2016-2020 Tahoe LT or Yukon SLT, or a 2018-2020 Denali (if the mileage/price is right). 4x4.

I’m in California. The range I have been trying to shoot for is between $40,000-$50,000 with under 50k miles. Preferably single owner non rental. I’m finding better and better deals by the week, we just have to sell her car first then we can buy.

I work in the fire service and when we go to these big fires We have to get rentals because we don’t have enough state vehicles. A few years ago I had a Yukon XL SLT as a rental and it was a GREAT rig. It out 4-wheeled most of the state pickups. It cemented in my mind how badass these rigs are - a true testament to the brand.

6F1FEB71-9D51-411B-8E73-87F8C97223BF.jpeg
33B84067-8B70-49BE-AF66-84A1F557EF8B.jpeg
573EF4BA-2C0B-41D1-AE5F-30980C48378D.jpeg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami!

Check out all sections of the 2015-2020 section.

Thank You for your service,

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the closer you get to a 2020 the better the vehicle. The 2021, not so much. Might be seeing some off lease machines right now too and those would have good mileage and at least dealer service usually.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your rental Yukon out 4WD the state pickups, I'm going to suggest that you are just better at off roading than they. Either that, or they didn't have any gear in the box so it was too light in the back, hence less traction.

If you ask me, the most reliable years mechanically were the late 90's just before the 5.3. My father has a 97 Tahoe which has given him almost flawless service. He's still driving it today. The only major work he had done was a tranny rebuild about 15 years ago. My 2002 has had leaks galore (RMS, rear cover, oil pan, front cover, air intake plenum, rear axle, and more on the way I'm sure. I had a cracked head, rusted through brake lines, coolant leaks, AC compressor failure). Things seem to have settled for now, but the first few years I got the truck it was a real headache. The 97 Tahoe had a CV joint go on the front in the first few years of ownership, and a power steering hose (low pressure side) leak.

That said, I'm keeping this '02 as long as I possibly can. I can't stand the dash layouts on any of the new vehicles. I refuse to touch any vehicle with a touch screen. I need physical knobs.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs