VVT Delete / TSP Truck Cam DONE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buddy Dane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought my 2012 with 169k miles in Florida on 3/14. On 3/21 I tore the top of the motor off and did some work. On 3/23 I was on the road with some new sound and power.

VVT Delete with a Texas Speed stage 2 truck cam and associated parts. Still dialing in the tune, but it is super fun to drive and the sound is perfect. Currently with 1 3/4" Flowtech longtube headers into a 3" catless Y-pipe and then into the stock muffler with a SLP resonator delete. I don't like the sound, so this week it's getting a Spintech muffler and full 3" exhaust from the Y back.

I also picked up a motor/trans/ecu/harness/pedal/fuse box from a wrecked 2012 PPV and hauled it home. It is currently in short block form for a build for some mild boost. I'll build it up and switch them out and put the current Tahoe motor in an old K series Chevy pickup I have.

Until then, happy wrenching!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 2012 with 169k miles in Florida on 3/14. On 3/21 I tore the top of the motor off and did some work. On 3/23 I was on the road with some new sound and power.

VVT Delete with a Texas Speed stage 2 truck cam and associated parts. Still dialing in the tune, but it is super fun to drive and the sound is perfect. Currently with 1 3/4" Flowtech longtube headers into a 3" catless Y-pipe and then into the stock muffler with a SLP resonator delete. I don't like the sound, so this week it's getting a Spintech muffler and full 3" exhaust from the Y back.

I also picked up a motor/trans/ecu/harness/pedal/fuse box from a wrecked 2012 PPV and hauled it home. It is currently in short block form for a build for some mild boost. I'll build it up and switch them out and put the current Tahoe motor in an old K series Chevy pickup I have.

Specs of cam? Did you do anything else other than VVT and AFM delete? I have the same cam with 114LSA but mine is still torn apart. Too busy. :(

I'm hoping to have mine sound like yours!

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

If you like the sound now you are going to love it with the spintech muffler. My neighbor has a trailblazer stoked with spintechs and that thinks sound bad ass to the bone.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Truck sounds great... I can only imagine that a 5.3l with 1 3/4" headers and no cats into a 3" Y-pipe must have lost a substantial amount of low end torque.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck sounds great... I can only imagine that a 5.3l with 1 3/4" headers and no cats into a 3" Y-pipe must have lost a substantial amount of low end torque.

I'm running TSP 1 3/4 LTs, TSP 3" y pipe, Magnaflow 12259 muffler and resonator delete.......I didn't loose any low end. I still need to get my dyno tune done........this Corona virus is putting a crimp in my build.

Going in for the 3.73s and locker on Thrusday.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm running TSP 1 3/4 LTs, TSP 3" y pipe, Magnaflow 12259 muffler and resonator delete.......I didn't loose any low end. I still need to get my dyno tune done........this Corona virus is putting a crimp in my build.

Going in for the 3.73s and locker on Thrusday.

I'm glad you didn't loose any torque.

I must be the only one on the planet that lost bottom end torque when I removed the cats, and I only have 1 5/8" primary tubes on my headers. Having a smaller diameter Y-pipe built, for keeping the hot gases from expanding/slowing down, was the key to getting my low end back.

Having no cats, a 3" Y-pipe and bigger primary tubes can only further exacerbate the expansion of the hot gases, which slows them down and reduces scavenging.

Most people think bigger exhaust is always better but unless you have enough air flowing through the engine, like boost or big cubic inches, it can actually do more harm than good.

I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins