Voltmeter reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving to work yesterday am, towards the last about 15 min of driving, noticed, that V meter needle dropped below 14. Connected Torque and is showed current oscillating between 12.7-13V.
OK, so panicking a bit, connect Torque on the way home - voltage sits at 14.7-15 across the entire commute, that being around 25-30 min. Gauge also shows as it should - above 14.
Is this about right, or I should just replace alternator? Or, it's voltage regulator acting up? Presuming, battery got charged, will voltage drop down not to overcharge it?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I see no problem. Different voltage uses and voltage loads at different times. I saw this same info at my dash gauge and was concerned but testing showed what was going on and have never had a problem.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, great. Had and still have real bad pass, start blowing on cold, as the result. I figured, it should drop voltage when there is no request for it, but what do I know..

Thank you

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Oh, great. Had and still have real bad pass, start blowing on cold, as the result. I figured, it should drop voltage when there is no request for it, but what do I know..

Thank you
So, you had another problem/concern at the same time that you were concerned about readings? More "concise" details about this concern.

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving to work yesterday am, towards the last about 15 min of driving, noticed, that V meter needle dropped below 14. Connected Torque and is showed current oscillating between 12.7-13V.
OK, so panicking a bit, connect Torque on the way home - voltage sits at 14.7-15 across the entire commute, that being around 25-30 min. Gauge also shows as it should - above 14.
Is this about right, or I should just replace alternator? Or, it's voltage regulator acting up? Presuming, battery got charged, will voltage drop down not to overcharge it?
When was the battery last replaced? All of the GMT900s came with variable voltage control which controls output based on the load. If the battery is older I've personally had it reflected in the voltage meter as a low output as it's attempting to charge the batter but the battery isn't taking the power.

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery is about 2 yo. On the plus side.
You may want to have it tested at a local auto parts store if close. I doubt WA has the cold we experience in WI/IL in the winter but I try to keep the batteries changed every 2 years as it's pain when they decide to quit.

I maintain (fiancé's ride) a 2018 Wrangler which decided to stop unlocking certain doors with a FCA branded battery at only 18 months old.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I notice my volt gauge will fluctuate a bit, depending on how loud my radio is, which I can only assume is the 2500 watt amp is pulling a bit more power. Have the battery checked but could have been an onboard system pulling more power at the time when you looked down at the gauge..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094