Alternator charging issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have mentioned on more than one post about the Tech2, is that something you are connected with

No, just recognize it as an essential tool. Without it you're really guessing. Wish I'd bought it twelve years ago, would have saved me a lot of money and frustration. When I bought this truck the Tech2 was part of the budget this time. It's already paid for itself several times over.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 change above to wes’s post.. cable goes along the ‘front’ of engine instead of ‘rear’.....it ws late and he was typing fast. Ground cable can be purchased also and goes from battery direct to alt bracket. I got all gm parts from amazon and my gauge does same, up and down.

Positive cable is in lower wire loom directly under the larger black plastic channel and actually clips (wire loom and clips come with cable) right into that channel from battery to starter.
Good luck. I think Wes posted all part #’s
There are posts on here of an isolated setup but this is a parallel type.
View attachment 200892
:cheers:

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned mine since new. Now has 225K on it. It has always done that and I've never liked it but that's the way it was designed. Like the AFM, it's another attempt to hit those EPA mpg numbers. Don't worry about it. It's normal.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the first place it is a "volt meter" Not an Ammeter,. It does not show charge or discharging, just how high the voltage is. The battery requires different voltage depending mostly on how low the battery is when you are reading it. In cold surroundings it needs to be higher than in warm ambient also when you used a big gulp of power like right after a start it will give a higher voltage to recharge the battery fast and soon goes to a maintain voltage. All this compliments of the computer. Gives longer life to the battery and slightly better mileage, in other words don't worry, be happy, it is very normal.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, glad this thread popped up. I just drive it and phuck it lol.

OP
OP
L

Les W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the first place it is a "volt meter" Not an Ammeter,. It does not show charge or discharging, just how high the voltage is. The battery requires different voltage depending mostly on how low the battery is when you are reading it. In cold surroundings it needs to be higher than in warm ambient also when you used a big gulp of power like right after a start it will give a higher voltage to recharge the battery fast and soon goes to a maintain voltage. All this compliments of the computer. Gives longer life to the battery and slightly better mileage, in other words don't worry, be happy, it is very normal.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, just recognize it as an essential tool. Without it you're really guessing. Wish I'd bought it twelve years ago, would have saved me a lot of money and frustration. When I bought this truck the Tech2 was part of the budget this time. It's already paid for itself several times over.

Do you recommend a specific one?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you recommend a specific one?

The older ones still command a high premium, those made by OTC and Bosch. I believe Vetronix was the last company to make them and then the Chinese factory started selling them on their own or something like that. These can be had for $300-400 on ebay now. Make sure it has that latest software, 33.004 and the Candi module for use with GMT900s. Many of the other items are for self diagnostics and other vehicles and programming modules. The software discs, the old TIS2000 software I don't think necessary for GMT900s, I don't bother with it after installing onto an old laptop. If I have to program a module, I'll buy the 3-day subscription off Tis2Web. But for everyday useage, looking at things, resetting codes, etc. such is not needed.

I got mine with the case and glad as it keeps everything together and can get knocked around in the truck and be alright.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I saw that Bosch had a few options at Orielly's the other day. They had one priced at $90 I think and three more options up to about $350 IIRC. Don't have the cash for the expensive one right now but it looked nice!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I saw that Bosch had a few options at Orielly's the other day. They had one priced at $90 I think and three more options up to about $350 IIRC. Don't have the cash for the expensive one right now but it looked nice!

It's hard to justify when money is tight, I surely know that, but these things pay for themselves in short order in money not spent on repairs, throwing parts at a problem because we now have a proper diagnostic tool. For example, two different actuators on my AC got out of sync at differing times and threw codes and the AC blew warm. The Tech2 was used to put them back into order. At $80 each plus labor, that adds up to a pretty penny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout