Alternator charging issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Les W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, before I drop some money on parts to chase this problem I thought I would see if anyone has seen this issue or some suggestions. My thought at this point is to swap Alt. Prob started about a year ago very intermittent where the ammeter would show a discharge while driving but when you turned off the key and restarted problem went away, now its here all the time. Putting a meter across battery I get 12.6v Start vehicle and get 14.+ which drops down to normal within a few minutes. Once you start driving the voltage on dash drops. I have measured volts while running and it is discharging and I am getting 12.85v while charging which I thought should be 13.1 min. I had a couple different auto places check and got a response that battery had 1/4 life so I took battery and swapped for new 42 mo Delco at dealer. Still having same issue. I cant see spending a hundred or more at dealer if I can put that towards new Alt. This is a orig Alt in a 08 Denali with 82000 miles. Any diagnostics I might be missing or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for any help

071.JPG 072.JPG

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its normal for these trucks. Its called rvc. Regulated voltage control... basically shuts alt off when cruising but turns it back on when needed. Its to save gas... i know sounds crazy but its true. Look it up. If you have a tow haul button, leave it tow mode and it turns it off. Or, on your neg battery cable is a small electronic current sensor and if you disconnect it you should keep a more steady voltage.

OP
OP
L

Les W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its normal for these trucks. Its called rvc. Regulated voltage control... basically shuts alt off when cruising but turns it back on when needed. Its to save gas... i know sounds crazy but its true. Look it up. If you have a tow haul button, leave it tow mode and it turns it off. Or, on your neg battery cable is a small electronic current sensor and if you disconnect it you should keep a more steady voltage.

OP
OP
L

Les W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have heard that but first time I have seen it in 3 yrs. With 100 deg heat and around town driving I didnt think it would be conserving but maybe overworking.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Les I know how you feel. I think that you'd enjoy having your own Tech2 to check out the things going on inside your truck. You can also download the restoration manual for the GMT900s from the GM Heritage website and learn even more details in the various pdfs located here: https://www.gmupfitter.com/pdflists/view/6

Consider a subscription to AllDataDIY and or the purchase of the manual in pdf form by either download or DVD/CD from SeriousCTBuyer on ebay.

You'll find RVC and EPM very interesting technology.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya mine does it as well even with two AGM batteries, don't like it but whatever......GM

OP
OP
L

Les W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ya mine does it as well even with two AGM batteries, don't like it but whatever......GM

So does your guage look like mine? I wont be so worried if I knew someone else looked the same. Also I would like to see some pics of your dual battery setup. I have been wanting to do a dual battery with isolator for mine.

OP
OP
L

Les W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Les I know how you feel. I think that you'd enjoy having your own Tech2 to check out the things going on inside your truck. You can also download the restoration manual for the GMT900s from the GM Heritage website and learn even more details in the various pdfs located here: https://www.gmupfitter.com/pdflists/view/6

Consider a subscription to AllDataDIY and or the purchase of the manual in pdf form by either download or DVD/CD from SeriousCTBuyer on ebay.

You'll find RVC and EPM very interesting technology.

Thanks for the info I will look in to it. I could fill my library with tech manuals. You have mentioned on more than one post about the Tech2, is that something you are connected with, I would like to learn more. I have the Actron 980 but dont think it is as in depth as the Tech2.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does your guage look like mine? I wont be so worried if I knew someone else looked the same. Also I would like to see some pics of your dual battery setup. I have been wanting to do a dual battery with isolator for mine.
yes my volt meter will vary, I have the stock 2 battery setup just like the ppv's, all you need is the battery holder which is the same as the on the nbs's and the battery cable and then it's cheaper to make your own ground(s)
battery cable is $60-65
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-GM...921435&hash=item43fcfddeb7:g:CBUAAOSwkNZUkWJV
the holder is only a few bucks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Battery-Hold-Down-Tie-Bracket-Clamp-14005061-OEM-Replacement/253591032890?fits=Year:2000|Model:Tahoe&epid=655209434&hash=item3b0b34143a:g:~v0AAOSwD99aydfH

the cable goes under the rear of the engine and clips right into the existing holes and connects to the starter, then you just run a ground to the frame and one to the alternator bracket.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 change above to wes’s post.. cable goes along the ‘front’ of engine instead of ‘rear’.....it ws late and he was typing fast. Ground cable can be purchased also and goes from battery direct to alt bracket. I got all gm parts from amazon and my gauge does same, up and down.

Positive cable is in lower wire loom directly under the larger black plastic channel and actually clips (wire loom and clips come with cable) right into that channel from battery to starter.
Good luck. I think Wes posted all part #’s
There are posts on here of an isolated setup but this is a parallel type.
9B325C54-23A4-4571-806F-0E19157F2935.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9