Volt Meter drops below 14 on a new Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my new Tahoe (2020) a few months ago and today I had to make a 300 mile trip down the interstate. I never really paid attention before but it always seemed to me it was indicating 14 (straight up) but Im sure it moved some. Today I noticed it was move between the straight up position and what I guess would be around 11, it did this several times and I was so paranoid about going dead I didnt even stop for a nature break. If you own a 15 or newer do you ever see your amp meter dropping from te 14 (straight up) to about the 10 or 11 as you go down the highway? It could be its totally normal and I never noticed it but it sure seems odd.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen that on my 16, 17 and 19 Suburbans. Asked the dealer and they said it was normal. Never had a problem.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same thing on my 16 Tahoe. Been doing that for the past 90K miles. Did it with the original battery and now with the newer AC Delco battery I put in a few months ago.

OP
OP
Vortex

Vortex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Ive just never seen that on any car, I had a 2017 Tahoe and if it did it I never noticed. Guess I will just keep on truckin and if it craps out or battery goes dead the dealer can fix it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at 14v the alternator is running the truck and charging the battery at the same time. the alternator alone is capable of running the truck so if you drive long enough and your not using alot of the electronics the battery will be fully charged so the draw from the alternator will decrease. when you first start a vehicle the alternator is trying to recoop the slight drop from it sitting overnight and the juice you used to start the vehicle. also most charging systems have plenty to run everything in the vehicle charge a battery plus a little extra. so if you jump start a vehicle the gauge should climb above the "normal" position you see it in.