very loud ticking at start up ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arctic388

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on passenger side of engine at startup is a very loud ticking for about 20 seconds.

a week ago I had oil changed (i provided oil and PF52 filter) and when i got home the oil was above full on dipstick. after this is when ticking started. last night i changed out filter with a new PF52 and drained some of the oil to middle level of ok range. this morning started it and ticking is still there. I cut filter open i took off and everything looked normal. its got 241K miles. i also am loosing coolant somewhere and think it maybe internal since it has a light smoke at start up and oil level never drops between changes.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
about how fast is this tick? got a video? you may have aerated the oil and sucked in some air in to a lifter and the coolant may be from intake gasket or someplace else. a plug reading would help a bit to narrow down location and cause.

OP
OP
arctic388

arctic388

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I googled air in lifter and it wasn't good. so the question now is does it hurt anything?

this is murphy's law kicking me in the a$$. i just bought a new Honda CRV to replace a 99 Mountaineer with 246K miles on it. now what can go wrong will go wrong when i wont have the money to build a 383 like i wanted to.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
any air pocket will create a lack of lubrication on the surface that the sir has contact with. if that air is in one place the whole time and those parts are moving then they can become effected. not always likely that air will stay in one place when oil is under pressure to move thru line. a video and audible search by you can help determine what it might be and where it is coming from. perhaps get a mechanics stethoscope to help narrow down location.

OP
OP
arctic388

arctic388

Full Access Member
Reaction score
walking out of work yesterday i get a buddy to start it for me so i can video the ticking and he fires it up and its as quiet as can be. not a single tick.

I did drive it as hard as i could that morning in hopes of the high pressure to remedy whatever the cause and it seemed to work. just hope whatever it was is gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts