V4/V8 Mode Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have what seems to be not normal V-4 vibration. Is that covered under the powertrain warranty? I can bypass it around town by running the trans in M5 for now though.

Cavan806

Reaction score
Either the AFM system is beginning to have issues or you have a blown and flattened motor mount or both. Both are very common and highly likely. If it were me, I'd disable the AFM with a tune (custom or handheld) or get the Range disabler device. Kill the AFM before it kills your motor!

Will the use of the Range AFM disabler affect my BB tune?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the use of the Range AFM disabler affect my BB tune?

I'm not sure what the Range does to disable the AFM, so I can't say for sure. My guess is that it's work with it just fine. But that's a guess.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even using Synth only you gotta clean out the engine? I like the concept of the AFM, and I just went through a major overhaul replacing my camshaft and all the lifters and trays - a gift from the previous owner. I had been using standard 5w30 per the manual, but the guy that did my costly, timely rebuild said to always use synthetic and never use detergents.

I don't think I want to disable my AFM if I can keep the system working well. But I don't want to spend another $5K on an engine overhaul in the future. Is there any other preventative maintenance or should I go ahead and hit the delete button? AND - Can I even delete/disable/remove the AFM if I have a Hybrid? Is it integral to the Hybrid control system?

So, AFM failures have cost you thousands of dollars, but the AFM system operating has or will save you a few hundred dollars in fuel over your ownership of your vehicle?

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you calling "not normal" V4 vibration?
I guess I don't know what is normal. It feels like a rumble like driving on a rough surface. It is more annoying than anything, although I like saving fuel. If your supposed to be able to feel it I can learn to deal with it, but if it is an issue I need to get it addressed before my warranty expires.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't know what is normal. It feels like a rumble like driving on a rough surface. It is more annoying than anything, although I like saving fuel. If your supposed to be able to feel it I can learn to deal with it, but if it is an issue I need to get it addressed before my warranty expires.

I'd say the vibration when going slow in V4 mode feels and sounds like a rumble. It's probably a failed motor mount or both mounts. They leak their fluid out and the mount collapses, causing you to feel the vibes.

Unless almost all of your driving is cruising steadily at speeds under 70, you're not really gonna gain much from AFM, maybe 1-2 MPG max. That's pennies when compared to the cost of replacing the lifters and possibly cam and possibly even the whole motor when an AFM lifter fails. Check your mounts and replace them if necessary and disable (handheld tuner or custom tune) or delete (remove the components and tune out) the AFM.

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, AFM failures have cost you thousands of dollars, but the AFM system operating has or will save you a few hundred dollars in fuel over your ownership of your vehicle?
I will say that most likely the previous owners caused the issues through neglected maintenance. I have not seen where the hybrid model can function properly without the AFM. That is my question. And the follow-up is, if I can't disable out, what is the best possible preventive maintenance?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that most likely the previous owners caused the issues through neglected maintenance. I have not seen where the hybrid model can function properly without the AFM. That is my question. And the follow-up is, if I can't disable out, what is the best possible preventive maintenance?

I'm not familiar enough with the hybrid to know if it can work without the AFM. Sounds like it can't, and I'm sorry for this plight.

There really is no preventative maintenance other than normal maintenance. Since the AFM lifters are more sensitive to being clogged, the best you can do is keep the inside of the engine as clean as possible. Change your oil regularly/as needed using quality synthetic oils and filters, use top-tier gasoline, a good air filter, etc. Using additives to clean the engine such as the ones you pour in before an oil change and drive for X miles then drain can help. But, on an engine that already contains some sludge, the additive (detergents) can break the sludge/carbon loose and actually cause problems if chunks of the sludge get caught in the lifters. Since your engine has been worked on internally, I'd hope that it was cleaned decently enough that there aren't areas of buildup remaining, waiting to break loose and potentially cause a problem. If it's clean, keep it clean by running a quality cleaner somewhat regularly to prevent the buildup in the first place. Maybe run a bottle of cleaner before every or every other oil change.

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose that's the best I can do. Thanks for the info, and I hope I can get some good miles on this thing now.

Meanwhile, I'll have to drive 200,000 miles for the hybrid to pay for the gas...