Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So last night Justin sent over an updated tune. Not having done this before I pulled up the instructions and went out to the truck and installed them. I think. You see, I only turned the key to the accessory position and it ran through the paces and told me to turn the key off for 15 seconds. Did that. But later, I came back in and really read the instructions and I was supposed to have put the key to run and taken it out of the ignition when told. So I went back out and the AutoCal this time said to turn the key off, so I removed it, waited for the countdown and then did the TCM the same way too. When doing the TCM both times, all kinds of errors came up on the DIC, Traction Control, Trailer Brakes, etc. All went away when process completed.

After the first time, I took the truck out and averaged 18.2 @ 70 again five different points, from a low of 17.5 to a high of 18.9. I've read a lot about guys who put these engines in cars getting good mileage above 2000 rpms so later shifted it into M5 @ 70 for a long spell and she averaged 17.5.

So now I have to do it all over again. Was going to make a second run last night but the rains came and are still upon us.

Switching back to Mobil's gasoline, the alcohol content is down to 2% from 7-8% and that is sure to help mileage.

I think I finally got my ethanol % to read properly on the torque pro app. I thought I had the engine oil life monitor reading properly, but I was mistaken.

Just FYI... I don't know what BBP tells you about flashing things BUT Lew from Diablew custom tunes says that these trucks take approximately 100-150 miles for all your fuel trims to level out after flashing a new tune.

When you do the logs for him, and he sends you a new tune, he says to drive it 100-150 miles before taking a new log to send in for tweaks to let everything settle.

I only mention this because your freshly installed tune may not give you accurate/consistent results until after the mileage mentioned above.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ken. No, Justin didn't give a length of time but asks for a datalog to be sent in to analyze the effectiveness of the changes. Most of the house got a bout of food poisoning so we didn't go anywhere today but the head and back to bed. If I read his email right, this particular update is focused on that 70 mph cruising speed. Have a short run coming up on Tuesday.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 out of the last 4 tanks of fuel have averaged over 15 mpg (15.95, 15.12, 15.58). One of them averaged 10.81 mpg. That was the trip into the woods where the truck went swimmin'.

So the new tune is in, tank is filled up and waiting for cool weather and no traffic to do some tests.

Eye Doctor said the pain in my eyes and resulting headache is because of dry eyes and a bi-product of diabetes. They don't feel dry but will get whatever he scribbled down, can't read it. My wife usually can figure it out.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
3 out of the last 4 tanks of fuel have averaged over 15 mpg (15.95, 15.12, 15.58). One of them averaged 10.81 mpg. That was the trip into the woods where the truck went swimmin'.

So the new tune is in, tank is filled up and waiting for cool weather and no traffic to do some tests.

Eye Doctor said the pain in my eyes and resulting headache is because of dry eyes and a bi-product of diabetes. They don't feel dry but will get whatever he scribbled down, can't read it. My wife usually can figure it out.
Usually you wouldn't be able to read it even if you had 20/20!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems like Justin's updated tune has done good. Averaged 19.13 MPG @ 70 MPH yesterday. LTFTs heading south in the morning remained rock steady at 0%. Heading north in the afternoon they moved around a bit. Especially the right bank. 1% usually on the right but sometimes 1 and 2 for both sides. Temperature was about 1-2 degrees warmer and the ECT reflected that as well. When I could at the Tech2, the Engine Load heading south was between 61-65% and while heading north (different highway for part of run) it was 53-65%.

At one point I pulled behind a rig and was getting over 20 mpg! If it doesn't rain, I'll redo those 65-70-75 MPH runs and call this project finished. Oh but wait, Justin and I didn't talk about extending the AFM on time to see if there are any gains to be had there. Well, maybe I should count my blessings and leave well enough alone. What do you guys think?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Well, it seems like Justin's updated tune has done good. Averaged 19.13 MPG @ 70 MPH yesterday. LTFTs heading south in the morning remained rock steady at 0%. Heading north in the afternoon they moved around a bit. Especially the right bank. 1% usually on the right but sometimes 1 and 2 for both sides. Temperature was about 1-2 degrees warmer and the ECT reflected that as well. When I could at the Tech2, the Engine Load heading south was between 61-65% and while heading north (different highway for part of run) it was 53-65%.

At one point I pulled behind a rig and was getting over 20 mpg! If it doesn't rain, I'll redo those 65-70-75 MPH runs and call this project finished. Oh but wait, Justin and I didn't talk about extending the AFM on time to see if there are any gains to be had there. Well, maybe I should count my blessings and leave well enough alone. What do you guys think?

Keep playing. This game is fun!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran through another tank of fuel which averaged 15.78 mpg of mixed city and highway driving. This is also the first full tank on the new tune that BlackBear sent. Save for the tank of fuel on that trip into the woods, the last 4 tanks of fuel have all averaged over 15 mpg.

I'm waiting to hear back from Justin about some questions sent his way and the AFM modified tune but think we're about done trying to maximize performance and efficiency now. I want to get the truck back on E85 and back to the drag strip when the weather cools off.

That noise under the hood keeps coming and going. Heard it tonight and by the time I ripped open the sthethascope from the package, it had stopped. Probably the power steering pump.

Did some two way averages as well tonight but the wind was blowing pretty good and the numbers are useless. There was about a 2 mpg difference between directions and there was spotty rain to boot. Took my wife to dinner instead.

I'd like to add 2 or three more GMT900s to our barn. A C/K10706 and a K10753, a short Yukon and an extended cab Sierra. Or give this one to my youngest and get a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL for me.

Ohh, it's nice that the price of fuel has been steadily dropping. Prices have dropped $.24 cents a gallon since August. Paid $3.259 tonight. E85 is still bouncing between $2.45 and $2.49. I forgot, I think I was gonna run some 89 and 87 through the truck and see how that does. We'll see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My lovely wife had the truck washed and detailed the other night to surprise us. The girls have been busy with school and they usually do most of the cleaning with/for me. Well, our youngest wasn't feeling so good this morning and stayed home. If she was up to it, a little Dad and Daughter time would be nice and I was thinking of scouting out a place called Plant Bamboo.

There are few G-Rated links from youtube to post about the place, hence why we went on a weekday!

Once I mentioned it, her stomach ache subsided rather quickly and we were off! The place is on the western end of beautiful and scenic Martin Highway, where oaks overhang the road and provide lots of shade. Couple of seconds and you get the idea:

We get to the place, sign in, fork over some cash and were off on our own with the run of the place. The workers were gearing up for the big event this weekend so pumps were going here and there to flood areas and make mud.

I purposely leave the tires at their regular inflation to see what she can do in 2WD. She does just fine but out back in the woods with only cows around I put it in 4HI to be ready for anything. There was a steep and short hill that we drove around, didn’t want to get high sided, and then came to another stand of water. Go through it or back up? My youngest gets out and says we should go back. I say, look, the cows had to walk through here to get where we want to go and there’s grass sticking up out of the water, how bad could it be? This is the same kid I hit with a mortar on Independence Day and told me not to cross the swamp in J. W. Corbett!

Let’s go I tell her. She climbs back in and I head towards the grass sticking up. We enter the water and get a boat length in and all of a sudden the right side falls away and we’re at a 30 degree list! My daughter later said if her window was open she could have touched the water again. I did what I usually do, panic and floor it! The truck plowed ahead and righted herself as we climbed out with the beeves skedaddling out of our way! Whew!

We drive around for another hour or so, mostly on the trails and staying out of trouble until veering off the beaten path to check out a wrecked and abandoned truck. We drive around it and then on over to look at some colorful beeves so my daughter can take their pictures.

Then the trail seemingly ends and turns to rutted wet grass. We drive right into it and quickly sink and stop! I throw it into reverse, on the first try this time, and back on up until she stopped and started settling again. Then forward and she moves a few feet and stops again. I back up to where she stops, throw it into neutral and shift into 4LO. Then on the gas until we power out of that place but to where? We get out of one spot only to sink into another, in the middle of a soggy bottom marsh! The sidewalls on the KO2s undoubtedly helped get us out of some tight jams. A few yards at a time finding the best way this way and that and after traversing a few acres we were on dry ground. But no road or trail attached!

Another marsh, muck and several flowing irrigation ditches separated us from the safety of the trails. Well, off we went with a running start, got up to speed where the truck shifted into 2nd and we plowed our way through it all and called it a day. The tires quickly shed the mud and once up to speed on the highway there was no vibration as you often get with mud stuck all over your wheels. No, these KO2s pile the mud and cow manure onto the running boards instead!

Back home with supper cooking and the sun coming down we went out and cleaned the old girl. Hit something and popped a “rivet” on the driver’s wheel well and the front bumper was askew. Pushed it back in and reinstalled the rivet, like it never even happened. Well, now there’s a scuff on the air dam. Another story to tell.

Many moons ago I thought it amazing to have a luxury car that one could drive across country in comfort, get great gas mileage and was fast enough to best the quickest sports cars then made. Now I’m thankful that this truck is comfortable and efficient enough to travel across country, can tackle nearly any terrain and still have fun with it at the drag strip.

Shark fin antenna has to be leaking, throws codes for coax cables for the XM/Sirius and Cellular. How does one cheat without dropping the headliner to get at the screw and cables?

More problems related to diabetes. Will know more in another week or so.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My lovely wife had the truck washed and detailed the other night to surprise us. The girls have been busy with school and they usually do most of the cleaning with/for me. Well, our youngest wasn't feeling so good this morning and stayed home. If she was up to it, a little Dad and Daughter time would be nice and I was thinking of scouting out a place called Plant Bamboo.

There are few G-Rated links from youtube to post about the place, hence why we went on a weekday!

Once I mentioned it, her stomach ache subsided rather quickly and we were off! The place is on the western end of beautiful and scenic Martin Highway, where oaks overhang the road and provide lots of shade. Couple of seconds and you get the idea:

We get to the place, sign in, fork over some cash and were off on our own with the run of the place. The workers were gearing up for the big event this weekend so pumps were going here and there to flood areas and make mud.

I purposely leave the tires at their regular inflation to see what she can do in 2WD. She does just fine but out back in the woods with only cows around I put it in 4HI to be ready for anything. There was a steep and short hill that we drove around, didn’t want to get high sided, and then came to another stand of water. Go through it or back up? My youngest gets out and says we should go back. I say, look, the cows had to walk through here to get where we want to go and there’s grass sticking up out of the water, how bad could it be? This is the same kid I hit with a mortar on Independence Day and told me not to cross the swamp in J. W. Corbett!

Let’s go I tell her. She climbs back in and I head towards the grass sticking up. We enter the water and get a boat length in and all of a sudden the right side falls away and we’re at a 30 degree list! My daughter later said if her window was open she could have touched the water again. I did what I usually do, panic and floor it! The truck plowed ahead and righted herself as we climbed out with the beeves skedaddling out of our way! Whew!

We drive around for another hour or so, mostly on the trails and staying out of trouble until veering off the beaten path to check out a wrecked and abandoned truck. We drive around it and then on over to look at some colorful beeves so my daughter can take their pictures.

Then the trail seemingly ends and turns to rutted wet grass. We drive right into it and quickly sink and stop! I throw it into reverse, on the first try this time, and back on up until she stopped and started settling again. Then forward and she moves a few feet and stops again. I back up to where she stops, throw it into neutral and shift into 4LO. Then on the gas until we power out of that place but to where? We get out of one spot only to sink into another, in the middle of a soggy bottom marsh! The sidewalls on the KO2s undoubtedly helped get us out of some tight jams. A few yards at a time finding the best way this way and that and after traversing a few acres we were on dry ground. But no road or trail attached!

Another marsh, muck and several flowing irrigation ditches separated us from the safety of the trails. Well, off we went with a running start, got up to speed where the truck shifted into 2nd and we plowed our way through it all and called it a day. The tires quickly shed the mud and once up to speed on the highway there was no vibration as you often get with mud stuck all over your wheels. No, these KO2s pile the mud and cow manure onto the running boards instead!

Back home with supper cooking and the sun coming down we went out and cleaned the old girl. Hit something and popped a “rivet” on the driver’s wheel well and the front bumper was askew. Pushed it back in and reinstalled the rivet, like it never even happened. Well, now there’s a scuff on the air dam. Another story to tell.

Many moons ago I thought it amazing to have a luxury car that one could drive across country in comfort, get great gas mileage and was fast enough to best the quickest sports cars then made. Now I’m thankful that this truck is comfortable and efficient enough to travel across country, can tackle nearly any terrain and still have fun with it at the drag strip.

Shark fin antenna has to be leaking, throws codes for coax cables for the XM/Sirius and Cellular. How does one cheat without dropping the headliner to get at the screw and cables?

More problems related to diabetes. Will know more in another week or so.

Another good one!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From October 2017 through March 2018, with a BlackBear tune and bad catalytic converters, these are the numbers:

E85 = 162.318 Gallons - $345.73 - 1612.9 Miles Driven = $.214 Cents a Mile and 9.937 MPG
Gas 93 = 188.891 Gallons - $598.03 - 2399.16 Miles Driven = $.251 Cents a Mile and 12.637 MPG

Running Gasoline delivers 2.70 MPG higher fuel economy and costs $.036 Cents a Mile more to operate.

From March 2018 through August 2018, with a BlackBear tune and Magnaflow catalytic converters, these are the numbers:

E85 = 222.18 Gallons - $504.72 - 2452.60 Miles Driven = $.202 Cents a Mile and 11.131 MPG
Gas 93 = 212.148 Gallons - $731.08 - 2908.5 Miles Driven = $.250 Cents a Mile and 13.752 MPG

Running Gasoline delivers 2.621 MPG higher fuel economy and costs $.048 Cents a Mile more to operate.

Replacement of the bad cats has resulted in an increase of 1.194 MPG on E85, from 9.937 MPG to 11.131 MPG.
Replacement of the bad cats has resulted in an increase of 1.114 MPG on 93, from 12.637 MPG to 13.752 MPG

In September an updated tune was loaded from BlackBear and we'll crunch some numbers on how well Bonnie Blue is performing on that soon enough.

Anyone do this and also keep track of GPH (Gallons Per Hour) and their Average Speed? I keep track of that stuff too.

Last edited: