Upper control arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
greenlee makes several different hydraulic press for punching out electrical boxes, you might be able to rent one and get the correct fitting on there it should pop right out

mooman

Reaction score
Sawzall. Mine were siezed and a sawzall blade is skinny enough to cut through between the mounting plate and the bushing.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
No I have not. I even tried a press and that didn't work either. There are only a few posts on other forums suggesting to cut off the bolts. However clearance is poor for anything other than a cutoff wheel. Iam going to try heat and air hammer. I will try the cut-off wheel as a last resort. I have bad upper ball joints and now bushings after soaking them in pblaster the rubber is loose but the bolts are rust welded to the bushing sleeves. I have new bolts and camber plates waiting for pickup at the dealer. Time to head on over to HF and see what methods of destruction I can aquire.
My plan is to use the torch to cut in where the rubber bushings are and go through in hopes i can pull/pry the arm out and then extract/pound/pull/melt out the bolt remnant from there. Do that exactly or the sawzall eigther one and its out.Have a water spray bottle near if you torch they will catch fire but go right out with the water.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done with mine. Wow, let me tell ya... this was a pain in the rear BIG time. I had to sawzall the head and threads off on both bolts. I went through 5 metal cutting blades. The rust and the rubber bushing play made this seem like a near impossible job. I'm sure if this was at a shop they would have used a cutting torch or something.

20180808_000415.jpg

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done with mine. Wow, let me tell ya... this was a pain in the rear BIG time. I had to sawzall the head and threads off on both bolts. I went through 5 metal cutting blades. The rust and the rubber bushing play made this seem like a near impossible job. I'm sure if this was at a shop they would have used a cutting torch or something.

View attachment 204891

So what I did was I pushed the control arm all the way up on the passenger side grabbed a big effin ratchet then put my huge adjustable wrench on the end of the ratchet and cranked on it till the bolt broke free. When i finally broke the bolt and pulled it out it was all deformed and rusted. I tried a sawzall with no luck so I just muscled it. Almost threw my back out again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645