Updated Thermal Control Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did find one at Hendricks and the order process went all the way to shipping, but at near $40 shipping for that little piece of jewelry, well, still looking.

travisk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just replaced TBV in a fresh 6l80 GM reman that was installed in my 2015 tahoe. Literally a 20 mins job start to finish. Don't know if they're were torque specs but the bolt that bolted the TBV to the tranny seem very snug when breaking loose and the one that bolted the plate that holds the lines to the TBV seemed almost loose. I used the "Gutentite" torque method when I put it back together.

Typically idled at 194 degrees now idles at 174 degrees :( . Seems like a waist of 100$
It is hot a hell here in North Texas now tho. Except the fact we just broke a 21 day streak of 100+ degree days yesterday and today. Was expecting more of a drop with this cold front. Back in the 100s starting tomorrow. So the tranny temp is likely to be even higher tomorrow.

And good luck finding the o-rings for the lines. Neither dealership in my area had em. Guess you can order em online and wait. Luckily I have a o'reilly's warehouse in my area that lets you do will call. I was able to at least pick up the seal/gasket that goes inbetween the tranny and TBV. No autozone, o'reillys or napa had the acdelco one instock. And only napa had a aftermarket one in stock for twice the cost..
Ended up not replacing the old o-rings, hope that doesn't come back to bite me.. Seems to be doing fine so far. Stuck my head up under there after several drives today and narry a drip.

Also seems like people are saying the 2014-2015 models had the quick disconnects for the lines. Mine had the plate that works with this TBV. The stealership didnt say they changed the lines when they did the tranny so I'm going to assume they didnt since it wasn't on the bill. Think mine is a 2015.5 tho.

1. They've identified heat being a issue with these. Wonder why they're not being put into the remans to begin with?
2. Any particular reason 2014 and 2015 years were removed from this TSB in the latest revision?
3. Anyone know if theyre still using the same torque converts that like to blow up around 100k with their remans?

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just replaced TBV in a fresh 6l80 GM reman that was installed in my 2015 tahoe. Literally a 20 mins job start to finish. Don't know if they're were torque specs but the bolt that bolted the TBV to the tranny seem very snug when breaking loose and the one that bolted the plate that holds the lines to the TBV seemed almost loose. I used the "Gutentite" torque method when I put it back together.

Typically idled at 194 degrees now idles at 174 degrees :( . Seems like a waist of 100$
It is hot a hell here in North Texas now tho. Except the fact we just broke a 21 day streak of 100+ degree days yesterday and today. Was expecting more of a drop with this cold front. Back in the 100s starting tomorrow. So the tranny temp is likely to be even higher tomorrow.

And good luck finding the o-rings for the lines. Neither dealership in my area had em. Guess you can order em online and wait. Luckily I have a o'reilly's warehouse in my area that lets you do will call. I was able to at least pick up the seal/gasket that goes inbetween the tranny and TBV. No autozone, o'reillys or napa had the acdelco one instock. And only napa had a aftermarket one in stock for twice as cost..
Ended up not replacing the old o-rings, hope that doesn't come back to bite me.. Seems to be doing fine so far. Stuck my head up under there after several drives today and narry a drip.

Also seems like people are saying the 2014-2015 models had the quick disconnects for the lines. Mine had the plate that works with this TBV. The stealership didnt say they changed the lines so I'm going to assume they didnt since it wasn't on the bill. Think mine is a 2015.5 tho.

1. They've identified heat being a issue with these. Wonder why they're not being put into the remans to begin with?
2. Any particular reason 2014 and 2015 years were removed from this TSB in the latest revision?
3. Anyone know if theyre still using the same torque converts that like to blow up around 100k with their remans?
You got lucky on that plate retainer. My 2015 has the quick release style. Pita.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You shouldn't need to change the O-rings anyway.

Also seems like people are saying the 2014-2015 models had the quick disconnects for the lines. Mine had the plate that works with this TBV. The stealership didnt say they changed the lines when they did the tranny so I'm going to assume they didnt since it wasn't on the bill. Think mine is a 2015.5 tho.

That's very odd.

These are two questions I wanted to ask when I had my 6L80 replaced in January but I never did. I did my TBV and hoping it makes the new trans last longer but I really don't care all that much as I most likely won't have the truck for another 100,000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900