Updated Thermal Control Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I would increase our knowledge base by closing this out. I did purchase the 86774933 for my truck. Mounts to the transmission fine, but body of the unit has a slightly different angle where the lines mate with the unit, and it did not want to seal properly. My solution was to swap the new thermostat into the old housing.
I bought this one also, from one of the big online GM sources. I even did the VIN verification. Nope, wrong part for a 15 with quick connect lines. I ended up swapping the guts as well. At least this way if I feel the desire to flip the pill later, it has a fresh spring in it.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just eliminated the spring and pill and I’m still getting 190+. Am I missing something??

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't delete the spring and pill, you flip the pill.
Whether you just flip it or delete it it doesn’t make a difference. They both allow the fluid to free flow regardless of temperature… Correct??

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether you just flip it or delete it it doesn’t make a difference. They both allow the fluid to free flow regardless of temperature… Correct??
Without the pill, the body short circuits the flow. Nothing will go to the external cooler.

I did see one video where the guy tapped and plugged the port between the inlet and outlet. That way it always flows to the cooler.

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it then allows the fluid to still bypass the cooler. You flip the pill and spring so the valve cannot bypass. Put the stem of the pill in opposite of original position and the spring in the thermostat housing to hold the pill in place. It will then be in cooling mode continually.BYPASS.png

Attachments

• COOLING MODE.png
    COOLING MODE.png
    831.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I put the pill back in and flipped it. Highest it got was 176. Better than the 190 I was getting but still seems a bit high

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts