UPDATED* Carbon in Purge Valve = just do extra PM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don’t know what changed over the course of a few days but I went back to the first gas station, same pump and was able to fill to full with no shutoffs.
My only guess is the vent line just needed to be purged by driving or expansion of the tank contents. Either way, no more issues with filling.

I do keep getting some charcoal at the purge valve and I’m just thinking it’s from the middle EVAP line that I wasn’t able to replace. Speaking of which, is there a writeup somewhere to replace that middle EVAP line (connecting the line on the tank to the line at the intake)? It’s pretty long but I can’t trace it behind the engine so I’m not sure where it actually runs.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don’t know what changed over the course of a few days but I went back to the first gas station, same pump and was able to fill to full with no shutoffs.
My only guess is the vent line just needed to be purged by driving or expansion of the tank contents. Either way, no more issues with filling.

I do keep getting some charcoal at the purge valve and I’m just thinking it’s from the middle EVAP line that I wasn’t able to replace. Speaking of which, is there a writeup somewhere to replace that middle EVAP line (connecting the line on the tank to the line at the intake)? It’s pretty long but I can’t trace it behind the engine so I’m not sure where it actually runs.

It's just a pipe- blow it out.

WARNING: Use very light puffs of pressure. If you have a small air compressor with a 1/4" hose and small blow gun- you're golden. I went all power monger on mine and hit it with 150+ psi from my shop compressor. It actually wedged the carbon pellets in the bends of the piping from trying to shoot them out so hard and fast. I had to beat and bend the curved parts to crack the impacted pellets loose so the air would move them out. I disconnected the flex line where it met the tank and at the purge valve on the intake manifold and blew it, back and forth, from both ends until nothing more was coming out and I didn't hear anything rattling through the lines when blown. After I was sure it was empty, I hit it with full air power and it was very strong on the other end, indicating the line was all clear.

Timdenn180

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's just a pipe- blow it out.

WARNING: Use very light puffs of pressure. If you have a small air compressor with a 1/4" hose and small blow gun- you're golden. I went all power monger on mine and hit it with 150+ psi from my shop compressor. It actually wedged the carbon pellets in the bends of the piping from trying to shoot them out so hard and fast. I had to beat and bend the curved parts to crack the impacted pellets loose so the air would move them out. I disconnected the flex line where it met the tank and at the purge valve on the intake manifold and blew it, back and forth, from both ends until nothing more was coming out and I didn't hear anything rattling through the lines when blown. After I was sure it was empty, I hit it with full air power and it was very strong on the other end, indicating the line was all clear.
I thought the line from the purge solenoid goes to the canister? Wouldn’t you disconnect from purge solenoid under hood and then where it comes off canister

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the line from the purge solenoid goes to the canister? Wouldn’t you disconnect from purge solenoid under hood and then where it comes off canister

Ultimately, it does go to the canister. But the line runs from the purge solenoid on the side of the intake manifold, along the frame, then to a pre-formed hose that's mounted to the tank with a quick-disconnect near the frame. It doesn't go into the tank, just uses it for mounting and routing. I already had my tank removed and all the lines off of it to clean them out. So, the remaining line was that one on the frame with the short flexible portion that would've connected to that short run secured to the tank.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check if your vent valve opens when you turn off the ignition. This is responsible for allowing the air to escape when you fill your tank with petrol if it happens again.

Last edited: