UPDATED* Carbon in Purge Valve = just do extra PM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 Z71 Tahoe, 186k miles all stock

Long story short, I got the “tighten fuel cap” message on my cluster again and decided to just change the purge valve and vent valve. When I pulled the purge valve fitting, carbon pellets fell out and I saw the solenoid was packed full of pellets as well (which is likely where my message came from); pelted fell out of the EVAP line when I shook it as well.

I know I’ll need to replace the canister at this point, but I went ahead and got most of the lines for the EVAP system as well (I still need to order the line from the purge valve at the intake back to wherever the connection is). My question, that I figure I know the answer to, is twofold:

1) I’m assuming I’ll need to drop the tank to access the EVAP lines on the top of the fuel tank, correct? I’m on vacation and don’t have good pics to evaluate before I go ahead and order parts for 2) below.

2) I figure the fuel pump to be original, so if I have to drop the tank I might as well say screw it and eat the cost in order to save future labor time and just replace the fuel pump as well for preventative maintenance, right? If so, what brand is preferred (if not GM)?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I recently did all this on my 05 Z71. Do the entire evap system or deal with additional problems and drop the tank for a new fuel pump. If you have gas system instead of flex fuel, I can give you all the part numbers you need. 8th digit of the VIN is "T" or "Z". T is the gas engine.
Mine is all documented, with pics, at my build thread and I did it all without a problem ahead of time. I knew it would need it all eventually, so I did it all.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Need to know if your truck is Flex Fuel or not, as indicated by @MO VietVet.

I'm not familiar with the non-Flex Fuel evap routing around the tank, but the Flex Fuel evap lines by the tank can be removed from the side by pulling them out of the plastic retainers. You'll probably need to either slightly lower the tank, or remove the metal shield on the passenger side of the tank.

Here's what a 2004 Flex Fuel tank looks like from the top. I've dropped the tank both ways: with and without removing the evap lines (they're "on" in the pic below, on the righthand side of the tank). Non-Flex will look different, but I'm not sure how.

2021-08-15 Fuel Tank.jpg

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the gas system. These are the part numbers that I currently have:

GM 88983154 (vapor lines)
GM 15104151 (canister vent line)
GM 215-464 (canister)

For the line to the intake, is it GM 15275274? I wanted to confirm before ordering.

I have the new purge valve on stand-by, and the canister vent is already installed.

What PN did you use for the pump?

If I have the potential to not drop the tank (I have smaller arms) to replace the lines that would be ideal. I can’t find the build thread at the moment, as I am on my phone and searching the forum isn’t the easiest for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump: MU1639

Cannister valve hose: 12575527
Line to intake: 15275274
I got these parts ordered, and will have something “fun” to work on over the thanksgiving holiday. Thanks for the part numbers!

About how long did it take you to do the replacement? Aside from getting out as much fuel as possible and the compression clips, are there any other surprises that I should expect? I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary after watching a few videos on YT

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You pretty much covered it. The videos cover it all but watch more than one video. Start to finish was 5 hours but I had a friend that owns a shop and we used his lift. Just be careful and patient. Check in the tank for any crap in there.

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got everything replaced last night and it turned over just fine, though I have a vacuum leak somewhere since I hear a faint whistle/whine while accelerating.

My biggest problem is that I can’t fill the tank, now. I get 3-4 seconds and then the pump shuts off. I checked everything with the filler neck at least 6 times while reinstalling so I don’t know what’s going on. Any ideas?

Edit: I pulled the large line from the canister and attempted to fill. Still got shut off (new gas station) after about a gallon. I did notice a little fuel dripping from the line that was removed … would it be possible to just have some fuel in that line that is blocking the venting process? I did drop the two vent lines from the pump into the tank so I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case? If it is what are my options?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for added information, I lowered the tank again last night and none of the EVAP lines appeared to be kinked or otherwise obstructed. My only guess at this point is fuel in the lines that connect to the in-tank portion of the fuel pump.

If I pull the EVAP lines off the fuel pump, can I blow air into the ports and back flush fuel out of the lines or am I missing something else that would be easier to test?

I did also pull the rubber line from the filler neck to the tank and was able to poke the metal flapper inside the neck of the tank and it moved freely, so my lack of venting must be causing this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts