Ultimate RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) Setup!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As WalleyeMikeIII would say "The owner's manual is your friend and download the manual which makes it easier to look things up".

DmaxDenaliXL

Reaction score
I'm super paranoid that as soon as I plug anything into the HDMI ports or USB-C port, that one of my kids will accidentally kick/step on it and damage the built in connector. Has anyone found a bullet proof option for the terrible location of these ports? I have a second row bench so that is where the additional worry comes from.

I'm considering trying some magnetic cables that break away. Anyone tried them? This seems like an easier solution than completely relocating the ports which is what I've been considering.

HDMI

USB-C

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less comprehensive but also less invasive than the suggestion above is get a right angle redirecting HDMI cable to direct your cords downwards ans reduce how far they stick out and serve as targets for kicking.

Not sure if you've already tried this but it reduces my kids' interest in it somewhat.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rolling through this thread and searched through a few others...

Has anyone figured out a way to add additional screens for the 3rd row passengers that work with the OEM RSE systems? I realize the main reason they're no longer mounted the screens to the roof on the 2021+ models is due to how large the sun roof is now, and perhaps maybe to maintain visibility to the rear for those not optioned with the LCD video rear view mirrors.

I thought to look into a way to add the factory RSE screens mounted on the front seats but instead mount another pair to the back of the 2nd row captain chairs? Then quickly didn't like that idea if you had the 2nd row folded down flat to load/haul something much larger they'd be vulnerable to getting broken that way.

Any options out there?

DmaxDenaliXL

Reaction score
Less comprehensive but also less invasive than the suggestion above is get a right angle redirecting HDMI cable to direct your cords downwards ans reduce how far they stick out and serve as targets for kicking.

Not sure if you've already tried this but it reduces my kids' interest in it somewhat.
I was actually considering doing both the magnetic adapters with a right angle. In an ideal world, GM would have designed the RSE with a decent OS that had an established app store available. If I could get a few more streaming apps, I wouldn't need a Roku and then wouldn't have to deal with the cord mess.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually considering doing both the magnetic adapters with a right angle. In an ideal world, GM would have designed the RSE with a decent OS that had an established app store available. If I could get a few more streaming apps, I wouldn't need a Roku and then wouldn't have to deal with the cord mess.
Even just the majors (Netflix, Prime, Vudu or Movies Anywhere, Hulu) would be a huge value add; no need for an app store or library.

Or even just allow USB playback and the ability to control from the front.

With no data plan, I just put movies on a USB stick but then need to keep a roku in there to access the USB content. Major hassle for something they already had implemented in the 2021 platform (at least USB playback).

Packitup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I've had some time to play around with my USB-C drive and I can confirm my 2021 Yukon Denali has NO issues playing .mkv files. I mostly have .mkv files on my computer anyway, so I loaded one up for the heck of it, tried it on my RSE in the Denali and it played like a champ. I then loaded four other movies for a total of five, all 720p bluray rips, .mkv and again I had no issues. Both screens could see the drive and all five movies in which each screen could play the same movie or two different movies at the same time.
I have a harddrive hooked up to the USB port in the center console. I've tried moving .mkv files I have using MakeMKV (and DvDs) and the system doesn't recognize any files on the drive. I'm not sure if there is a software push that needs to occur. I have a 2021 GMC Yukon with the RES. Is there a way to force the system to re-read the harddive? It seems there is a cache that it works off. I've tried using handbrake and converting the .mkv to .mp4 and the RES doesn't even recognize any of those video's to be able to play them.

MrScrewzloose

Reaction score
I have a harddrive hooked up to the USB port in the center console. I've tried moving .mkv files I have using MakeMKV (and DvDs) and the system doesn't recognize any files on the drive. I'm not sure if there is a software push that needs to occur. I have a 2021 GMC Yukon with the RES. Is there a way to force the system to re-read the harddive? It seems there is a cache that it works off. I've tried using handbrake and converting the .mkv to .mp4 and the RES doesn't even recognize any of those video's to be able to play them.

Hmm.. that's weird. I'm using a SanDisk 1TB Extreme USB-C, and I've loaded it with almost 100 or so movies in both .mp4 and .mkv format. I did, however, need to reformat the flash drive as it came formated with ExFAT which my 2021 Suburban did not regonize, wouldn't mount at all. FAT will not work with large file size (e.g 4GB+) so I went with NTFS. Once formatted, I created a couple folders (e.g. Kids, Action) then transferred the movies. I'm using the USB-C in the center console to keep the drive out of the way and avoid getting it kicked by the kids when coming in/out.

No issues since.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879