Ultimate RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) Setup!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edlee321

Reaction score
I just got my 2022 Yukon last week, im very unhappy about the new crippled Android Automotive system, with no streaming apps offered on the play store, and most importantly removal of local USB Playback, which I am going to fight and call in every day till they add that feature back in the system, who wants to wait for fire stick to boot up every time, usb local playback was instant , and resumed every time we started our 2017 yukon we traded in.

The Rear Seat entertainment software is completely crippled now on 2022 builds, i would recommend not getting this truck if you use this system alot.

Last edited:

itsmike2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I completely agree!! I too had a 17 and had a hard drive full of movies and shows for the kids.. My complaint on the 17 is you couldn't choose USB movies from the front screen, but would take that over no usb option at all!! Plus i could put a dvd in the front and play that if i wanted!! Really a big step backwards for GM RSE, there is no use for touch screens if you have to have a streaming device connected, you have to have a remote!?!?!?!!?! Such a disappointment!!!

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their is one major problem with my 22 Z71 RSE……Problem. Is it is apparently difficult to remove….I have no kids and my dog scratches the screen when he try’s to swipe left……..Classic, that never gets old. Personally I would remove, set aside in a protected area and leave until trade in. Starting to think I should have skipped the RSE and got the 6.2…..then again all I have to see is the $3.99.Gallon for Premium Unleaded and realize that maybe the RSE is not quite so bad after all……Monitors make a excellent coat hanger.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are going to try out the roku setup later today when we head out on a 5 hour drive. I've had it setup for about a week but I do not let my kids stare at screens anytime we ride in the car. Long trips will be the exception so I'm not worried at all about 90 degree plugs and a clean looking install. With the 110 plug back there I'm going to hook up the Nintendo Switch also and I think that will work out quite well because it's such a small device.

Got to do whatever it takes to not have to hear "are we there yet?" for 5 hours. Time to see if this so far worthless $2500 system has an upside

MyTahoe91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys! I’m a long time reader, but just officially joined the forum. We just traded in our 2016 Denali for a 2021 Denali. Since I received a few tips and inspiration from this thread, I wanted to put this together to hopefully help some other folks.

I’ll attach a few pics of our setup, explain it a bit, and link everything down below.

We have a Roku Express HD plugged into HDMI 1. I mounted this to the driver side of the console with double-sided sticky pads. It is low profile enough that it doesn’t seem to interfere with the seat at all. I went with this side because the older kid who will be operating the remote sits behind the driver. We signed up for the unlimited data plan for the in-vehicle WiFi for $15/month through Onstar/AT&T. It works great for the Roku and even an additional iPad connected to it at the same time, even in our small town. With the Roku, the kids can stream shows on Disney Now, Disney +, PBS Kids, Nick Jr., Netflix, Prime, etc. And the quality is great.

I also have a 500GB Sandisk SSD plugged into a USB-C port. I have about ~25 movies on the drive that can be viewed on either screen. The drive is formatted NTFS and works great. I used another sticky pad to stash it above the power plug, but it can also be held in place by the door for the plug.

We weren't really impacted by the removal of the DVD/Bluray drive. The only downside I have found so far is that you can no longer watch the RSE on the front screen when the vehicle is in park. We used that a good bit and are pretty disappointed.

Here is my part’s list:

Roku Express HD - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVFCVJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Roku power cable - 12” Right angle micro USB to right angle USB A - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K4HTBSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Roku HDMI cable - 1.5’ Right angle to right angle - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07332ZBXV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sandisk 500GB SSD - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SWJ3CF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB-C Cable for Sandisk - 8” right angle USB-C to right angle USB-C - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SN9DJ5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB C to Lighting Cable for backseat iPad charging - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V31TX7B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Double-sided sticky pads - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QTR2CF1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this help! Sure keeps the kiddos happy & entertained! Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer!

View attachment 273828 View attachment 273829 View attachment 273830 View attachment 273831
Thank for sharing. What software you used to download movie into the harddrive.

jorgetoro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The screens on our 2022 Yukon had an interesting message when we first turned them on.
"Rear Media is Unable to Connect to Streaming Video Services Right Now
HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 can still be used.
If this problem persists, ask the driver to contact a vehicle dealer."

I'm wondering if GM is planning on adding streaming apps to the system and this error came up because the vehicles data wasn't connected yet. That would definitely be a nice option but I'm still not happy that they removed the options to connect a USB drive or share phone screens. I'm sure they are wanting to push customers to pay for data plans but as a Canadian it would be nice if they offered decent plans then.
This is probably their plan to make customers purchase wifi in the car.

KentuckyTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good Amazon link to a very short (like less than 10”) micro USB to USB-C for powering my Chromecast? Trying to eliminate running the Chromecast power cord into the USB outlet in the center console. Thanks in advance!

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hulu appeared on our 2022 Yukon rear screens this am
Thats the first I've heard of an app showing up when there had been none before--- did you notice an OTA update? Does the app actually work?

In the end we want more than one app but this would be a positive step if it came from an update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts