Uh Ohh... Rear wheel bearings replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I may have a go at it.

Those some specialty tools are expensive! I may call around to the mobile mechanics in town. I hate to do that as it takes away from the satisfaction of DIY, but I don't want to seat at the wrong depth for the bearing. After this, I may stick to fluids and brakes.......I've done a fair amount of maintenance on this vehicle lately (brakes/fluids/disable AFM/belts/ujoints) but I'm leaning to getting a newer vehicle at this point, yet, I don't want to just slap it together just to sell either. Thanks guys
Yeah, the specialty tools are a drag. The one I purchased for my Civic trailing arm bushings was nearly $200. But it’s so specific to the application, no one locally has it for rental, etc.. it can be done with a press, and the correct size cap, but I figured I wanted to have whatever I would need to get the job done.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
Yeah, the specialty tools are a drag. The one I purchased for my Civic trailing arm bushings was nearly $200. But it’s so specific to the application, no one locally has it for rental, etc.. it can be done with a press, and the correct size cap, but I figured I wanted to have whatever I would need to get the job done.
That's what I'm finding, no local parts stores have one for rent, and most of the shops I've called don't have the specialty tool, they just wing it, telling me they just kinda know where it goes....... I guess I'm ok with the tone ring being off 1/8" or so as long as the speed sensor isn't trying to read at an edge and the spline it's trying to read is 1 3/4" long. My concern with seating it is not having it go in crooked and having to buy another at $60 a pop....I do know the depth of the tone ring.....

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
It's still less expensive than paying someone to do it or having a car payment. Plus, you can sell the tool afterwards if you don't want to keep it. I've got three currently with two more under consideration so it makes sense for us for now. Until nobody is left to help this old man! LOL
I've considered buying and selling it after, but sounds like it might be tough to sell since folks are finding other ways to get this done. Not sure....I'm probably going with a press at this stage...like everyone else does it seems...going to need some luck on this one....I have a few days before parts get here to mull it over.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
So, before I try this on my own - what are some "look out fors and gotchas"? I assume many of you have replaced wheel bearings on your Tahoe's and could offer some tips for me?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through the tone ring thing on my 08 Silverado. Short story, it has a narrowed read end and the axles were built for a non-ABS application so the tone rings didn’t spin with the axle. I ended up pulling and installing the tome rings twice and I ended up buying the tool. I have loaned it out a couple times to members here. I’ll send you a PM. As far as getting the other parts out, I’d just use the bearing puller and maybe a long hook tool.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
My Timken seals and bearings arrived today. The bearings however are stamped Koyo.
Should I be concerned?
Doing a brief search it looks like Koyo are good bearings, but it surprised me. The bearings came in a Timken box...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal