Uh Ohh... Rear wheel bearings replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or check the connector up on the frame that is known to be easily knocked loose when tinkering under the rear end.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
I think the c0561-71 will clear once the passenger speed sensor is replaced. If I read correctly, it’s an EBCM code saying it’s not getting good data which makes sense if there’s a bad speed sensor. I’d replace the sensor and then see if they both clear.
That aligns with what the internet search is telling me as well! Fingers crossed !
I'm going to try one of the cheap ones off ebay with a 1 year warranty. Thoughts on that ?
Thanks for your reply!
Just a thought, the sensor reads the tone ring just installed. If the tone ring was pushed too far in it could be past the sensor.
I used the specialty tool that seats it the correct depth.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That aligns with what the internet search is telling me as well! Fingers crossed !
I'm going to try one of the cheap ones off ebay with a 1 year warranty. Thoughts on that ?
Thanks for your reply!

I used the specialty tool that seats it the correct depth.
I try to go with OEM but if it’s easy to get to I might buy a cheap one. Those are easy yo replace. If it was a front that’s a different story.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, the sensor reads the tone ring just installed. If the tone ring was pushed too far in it could be past the sensor.
He replaced the driver side tone ring due to damaging it when doing that bearing and seal. The code is for the passenger rear sensor. Plus I shipped him the specialty tool to set that tone ring with so it should be good.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
He replaced the driver side tone ring due to damaging it when doing that bearing and seal. The code is for the passenger rear sensor. Plus I shipped him the specialty tool to set that tone ring with so it should be good.
It was the passenger side tone ring, bearing, seal I replaced.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was the passenger side tone ring, bearing, seal I replaced.
Oh…well hopefully that sensor got damaged and a new one fixes it. Damn that makes me nervous. There’s a visual test you can do on the tone ring- if you remove the sensor and look straight up you should be able to see teeth on the tone ring, or use a pick and feel for them. Maybe remove both, look to see if you can see teeth and compare one side to the other. You could also swap the sensors and see if the code follows the sensor but that would mean a trip to the auto parts store after to have them read the code.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the sensor when you installed the tone ring? There might just be crud on top of the sensor too if you didn’t remove it and clean it. Sometimes it’s just metal filings or something on the sensor head that keeps it from working.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
Did you remove the sensor when you installed the tone ring? There might just be crud on top of the sensor too if you didn’t remove it and clean it. Sometimes it’s just metal filings or something on the sensor head that keeps it from working.
I did remove the sensor before i removed everything else, I might have damaged it or something upon removal or reinstall.

I have a new one ordered, it'll be delivered April 14th ish. I'll report back after installed and test driven.

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
I wanted to post a followup just in case it would help someone, or anyone was curious.
The parts finally arrived and last night I was able to work on my truck. I installed the wheel sensor (after market $13) and the spare tire hoist (why isn't everything as easy to replace as the spare tire hoist? LOL). I jumped in my truck and started it - the ABS and Traction Control and Stabilitrak lights stayed on. I backed it up a foot to removed the blocks I had under the tires, all the lights stayed on..I thought well, I read someone say you had to drive it awhile sometimes, so I threw the dog in the truck for a ride and pulled out of the driveway. I got about 25 yards before all the lights turned off!!!!!

Special Thanks to all the help and advice I've received on here! Special Thanks to RocketMan for his extra help to a new guy! Much appreciation to all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01