Uh Ohh... Rear wheel bearings replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckguy

Reaction score
Well, decided to replace my 2007 Tahoe 5.3 with 10 bolt rear, rear wheel bearing and seal. Dropped the diff pan, pinion bolt and lock nut removed, then removed C clip, and ABS sensor, expected the axle to pull right out but pulled about 1/4" out and it hung up.....I expected it to pull right out...thoughts?

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
I haven't tried the other side, the passenger side was the only side leaking and I hadn't decided to do both sides yet. I did wiggle and push it back in the 1/4' or so that it came out...I also just tried to put the pin back in the differential and it'll only go 1 3/4" back in.....I was afraid maybe I wiggled something out of alignment in the diff gear when yanking/wiggling it...

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
Got it off. Saw another video where a guy gently pried the axle out, and sure enough, it worked for me - Got the seal and bearing off, the seal was bad, but the bearing looking ok. I'll still replace it since I'm this far...But it looks like the next 2 pieces in might be bad....don't know what the parts are called, I'll try to find a diagram....one is a plastic piece with a nub broke off.....the next piece is inside the bearing lip and it just rolls around very sloppily-can't imaging it's supposed to be like that?

Attachments

• 20230329_185341.jpg
    20230329_185341.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230329_185411.jpg
    20230329_185411.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
Is the pic on the left a spacer of some type? It came out with the seal and bearing.
Next question, the cylinder just inside the bearing lip - is it supposed to just flop around like it is?
TIA

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the pic on the left a spacer of some type? It came out with the seal and bearing.
Next question, the cylinder just inside the bearing lip - is it supposed to just flop around like it is?
TIA
there is a ABS sensor ring behind the seal and bearing, I have not tore one out before but that might be what you have there.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
Then I must have misplaced the wheel bearing puller flange too far into the housing and pulled it out with the bearing and seal? Does that sound possible?
Any idea what the cylinder piece is next in the housing? That cylinder just flops around in there, did I break that too? Wish I could find a diagram...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons