Tying to hide a sub in a 2dr Yukon...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gulleyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm trying to figure out where to hide a 10" sub in this thing and I'm calling on you experts here in the forum for some input :help:
I saw a post here where someone put one in the rear passenger quarter panel that looked pretty clean but he had a Solobaric. I am going to need a little more air space to put a JL 10" back there.
rearsub02.jpg
box.jpg
I've also seen these by Q-form but they're SO expensive. Anyone have any experience with these?
qform_2.jpg
Has anyone seen a factory sub and trim panel from a 4dr like this one in a 2dr?
oemsub.jpg
Let me know what you guys think, any input will be appreciated :hmm:

Last edited:

T-Bagg

The Esca-Hoe driver.
Reaction score
I would also like to know. I'm getting rid of my two 12"s. I want my cargo space back.
Also, I'd like to know where to stuff the amps.

OP
OP
gulleyman

gulleyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of laying all of that out right now. I have a big 5ch amp I was going to use to power the whole system but it's so wide :doh2: I can't find a practical place to put it without hacking up my truck or building some elaborate rack. I want my set-up to be nearly invisible.
So I dug a couple of old 2ch amps out of the garage that haven't seen daylight for a loooooooong time. They're made by Linear Power, only 10"x10", super powerful and have ridiculously low distortion ratings. They don't make'm like they used to, lol.
I discovered that there is a pretty decent sized space behind the panels to either side of the back seat that I can mount them both. There's room for them to breathe so they shouldn't overheat plus you only have to take out one screw to remove the armrests; which will give me access to them once the panels and seats are all back in. Very convenient location for me and almost impossible for a thief to get at in any short period of time, and totally invisible just the way I like them :secret:
I'll try to get some pics up for you guys later tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gulleyman

gulleyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know where to stuff the amps.
Here are the pics of the installation, not the prettiest install I've ever done but it's definitely the stealthiest.
I was almost finished but I goofed and bridged the wrong amp :emotions122:
One of them is 2ohm stable but it's not this one :doh2:
So now I gotta take it to be repaired today and hopefully put it all back together this weekend. Oh well...
CIMG0293.jpg
CIMG0294.jpg
CIMG0295.jpg

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff gulleyman. I'm in the process of trying to figure out how I want my sound system to be set up (Since my OEM head unit finally died... 13 years of good tunes though, not bad). I'm replacing the head unit, all of the door speakers and the rear deck speakers too. I want to power my speakers with a decent amp rather than just off the head unit. I was going to go with out any subs because I don't want give any one some incentive to snoop around my truck or break in, especially in my neighborhood. And I still need my cargo space/seat foldability in case I need to haul some shit or if I want to sleep in it while camping.

Now I have some ideas as to where I can hide my amplifier(s) should I go that route. And now I have some ideas for stealth subs too (but I'm still a little iffy about running any subs). Thanks for the ideas man.

718frankb

LOCAL 282 TEAMSTERS
Reaction score
you could build the box through the floor (close)behind the back of the rear seat as long as your not lowered. thats why i went with rear quarter (1st pic) i also had a jl 10 w6 in that box flipped with magnet exposed and it sounded ok but it defeated the purpose so i put a solo classic i had .i like where your putting your amps but think about some cooling fans in there.keep posting your progress looks good

OP
OP
gulleyman

gulleyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like where your putting your amps but think about some cooling fans in there.

Thanks, I think your right there. I already had one casualty, I have taken the amp to three shops already and no one wants to touch it because it's so old :bawl:

Just another good reason for fans....

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gulleyman,
I did this install of the amps just like you did about 4 years ago. To combat the heat and ventilation issues, I installed a small fan under the cup holder. I also drilled some holes in the rear area where the panels meet. I have not had any heat issues so far, and I do pump the system hard from time to time. Both my amps (kenwood's) have internal fans as well. Not sure if this makes a difference, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal for your's. Old school amps are built like rocks.
I'll try to snap some pics in the next day or so but here is a link to the type of fan I installed.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.traderscity.com/board/userpix11/6175-dc-brushless-blower-fan-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.traderscity.com/board/products-1/offers-to-sell-and-export-1/dc-brushless-blower-fan-27689/&usg=__ffR15M5m5sC3PaYo_Hswfxe8W1I=&h=300&w=300&sz=10&hl=en&start=59&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=F6KQxaSE63rJmM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3D12v%2Bfan%26start%3D42%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D21%26tbs%3Disch:1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC