Tru-Cool Max 40k Transmission Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed my 40k tru cool cooler that's been sitting on my workbench for years now. Bought a kit from a guy off another forum who fabricates them. Worked like a champ with a couple minor issues...

Main concern, management for lines of cooler is now not effective. The cool line (driver side) rubs on the collision sensor under the core support. The hot line (passenger side) won't quite fit in the plastic line management bracket. My hope is to just make new ends for the trans lines. One longer and one shorter.

I know this is frequently done but I've never fashioned lines before. Anybody here know the size and spec for the trans cooler lines / metal pipe specs? Or maybe somebody had a better solution to this issue... I didn't want to read all 9 pages of the thread... sorry for being lazy.

Link to video of my thoughts on bracket I bought and trans line quesiton.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed my 40k tru cool cooler that's been sitting on my workbench for years now. Bought a kit from a guy off another forum who fabricates them. Worked like a champ with a couple minor issues...

Main concern, management for lines of cooler is now not effective. The cool line (driver side) rubs on the collision sensor under the core support. The hot line (passenger side) won't quite fit in the plastic line management bracket. My hope is to just make new ends for the trans lines. One longer and one shorter.

I know this is frequently done but I've never fashioned lines before. Anybody here know the size and spec for the trans cooler lines / metal pipe specs? Or maybe somebody had a better solution to this issue... I didn't want to read all 9 pages of the thread... sorry for being lazy.

Link to video of my thoughts on bracket I bought and trans line quesiton.
Couldn't you just flip the lines you already have? Then the one needing to be shorter would be shorter, and the one needing to be longer would be longer...

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you just flip the lines you already have? Then the one needing to be shorter would be shorter, and the one needing to be longer would be longer...
Yes that can be done, and is how it's hooked up now. However, the lines don't fit in their bracket then, they are loose under the core support. The return line also rubs on the collision sensor in that orientation. My truck primarily exists off road and will only be a matter of time before it rubs through or breaks something if it's not secured to the core support.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that can be done, and is how it's hooked up now. However, the lines don't fit in their bracket then, they are loose under the core support. The return line also rubs on the collision sensor in that orientation. My truck primarily exists off road and will only be a matter of time before it rubs through or breaks something if it's not secured to the core support.
I am sorry, I did not understand that. Can you use nylon straps to tie it down, at least for now? I'm in networking, and so we often have nylon straps with velcro closing to wrap up power and ethernet cables.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May work. Doesn't look like too much trouble just to bend a couple new lines. Only thing is it's something I've not done before so I don't have the tools on hand.

On another note, trans cooler is a BEAST. I'm worried I may need to get that bypass if I go anywhere cool? I'm currently running stock radiator w/ the trans lines running through it too.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's below freezing where I live. First time to drive on highway in such weather since I installed this big transmission cooler. Got a bit worried, my transmission temp gauge was well under 100F. At what point is too cold?

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's below freezing where I live. First time to drive on highway in such weather since I installed this big transmission cooler. Got a bit worried, my transmission temp gauge was well under 100F. At what point is too cold?
Normal operating temps should be between 165 and 180. Too cold and fluid doesn't flow as easy. If it flows poorly it doesn't lube parts as well. I won't say it will cause immediate failure, but too cold is not good on them.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a short road trip about 80 miles to a friends house. First time on highway with this TruCool Cooler. Drive was at around 45F ambient. Trans temp was probably at about 80F. I had to stop and get a box, then cover the transmission cooler. Got it up to around 120F after covering it.

Somebody told me I didn't need that thermostat tru-cool sells (another forum). I convinced I do need it. I just ordered one. I don't think I'd recommend installing this cooler without the thermostat period. If you don't have a load, and you go into a cold area, your transmission won't heat up.

In hindsight, probably for my application the cooler wasn't even necessary. I had been recommended by a transmission builder so I bought it. Only time I see higher trans temps is off road in 4wd (maybe a couple times a year and in dead heat of summer), or climbing a long mountain / forest service road at slow speed in heat of summer (100+F). Typically in those scenarios I just pull over for a few minutes then it's fine.

In reality, lowering temp your fans turn on, or buying a lower temperature fan clutch will fix those issues... Last time my transmission hit 200F (muddy climbing 4wd in dead heat of summer) I bought a lower temp fan clutch. That was likely more than enough w/ stock cooler.

Last edited:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the bypass. Has anybody put in the temperature bypass... if so where did you put it?

I'm thinking about the flexible portion behind core support...

UPDATES:

A website showing which trans cooler line is which on the 4L60E

Helpful video on managing transmission temps and types of coolers:

Last edited:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody installed this bypass before? I finally got mine. I don't like the push to connect fittings it's setup for. I want something that screws together.

Does anybody know of fittings to adapt push to connect to a screw fitting / hose nut?

I cannot find a single solitary video of somebody installing this thing. I know it's partially a creative fab install job. The manufacturer won't even help with my questions. We really shouldn't even be using this cooler without the temperature bypass. The trans fluid never gets to operating temperature under light and even medium duty.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879