Tru-Cool Max 40k Transmission Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
No I'm using the filter that the trans has.
For what it's worth

Stock trans filter is a rock catcher. Designed to stop large debris from entering the pump, create minimal resistance to flow. It's not a fine filter as we would think of like an engine oil filter.

I have a magnefine plumbed inline w/ my cooler lines. Also have one on my power steering too. Even with some pretty neurotic maintenance, both filters were able to catch some fine bits - like anti-seize.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
For what it's worth

Stock trans filter is a rock catcher. Designed to stop large debris from entering the pump, create minimal resistance to flow. It's not a fine filter as we would think of like an engine oil filter.

I have a magnefine plumbed inline w/ my cooler lines. Also have one on my power steering too. Even with some pretty neurotic maintenance, both filters were able to catch some fine bits - like anti-seize.

@SnowDrifter
Do you have any pics? I'm curious to see the set up. How often do you change the filters?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SnowDrifter
Do you have any pics? I'm curious to see the set up. How often do you change the filters?
Haven't established a change interval yet. I did a trans service - drop pan, change fluid, filter, gasket, etc and popped the inline one in there at the same time. Ran it for 1000 miles, changed it, and it's been in there ever since. ~8kmi ago. I'll probably take it out at 15k and see how it looks, adjust from there. I'm not terribly worried about leaving it in too long. The filter has a bypass valve so worst case, it reverts to 'stock' if it gets plugged.

I just cut the soft part of the line going from radiator to external cooler and chucked it in there. Was afraid to commit to it until I knew how well it performed. Been on my list of things to tidy up

The larger granules are from me cutting it open. This is 1000mi use, transmission extraordinarily well maintained. Just proves that stuff still settles out, and the trans filter is more or less a mesh. Changed first filter out early figuring it would get the dirtiest, the fastest.

Magnet caught some fine stuff. Even with 2 transmission pan magnets. Filter caught some small metal debris. ~popcorn salt sized
CMQnwdA.jpg

wa6IpZA.jpg

For the power steering one: I chucked it on the return line coming from the steering box. Have yet to open it up. Probably won't for a while. P/S is a pretty basic system, not a ton in there to shed large amounts of metal. And my fluid has been well maintained

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879