Tru-Cool Max 40k Transmission Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jlaughtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a week ago I was towing a 16ft trailer with a 2-seater Polaris Rzr loaded on it. I was driving from NM to AZ and it was freaking hot. Around 105 degrees. As I was driving, I saw a cloud of white smoke shoot out behind my Tahoe. I pulled off at the next exit and looked underneath as best i could since the ground was 120+ degrees. I found a large amount of oil on the passenger side and it looks like it got on the exhaust and that's what burned it up. I checked the oil filer and it was good. I checked the oil level and it was good. I limped it the rest of the way and made it to a shop. The oil underneath had dried up, but they came to the conclusion that it was tranny fluid that shot out of the overflow port. When they check the tranny fluid the mechanic said it was damn near boiling because it was so hot. He recommended I get an larger external trans cooler.

I've searched around on the forums and haven't seen much about external trans coolers. Just wondering if anyone has installed or has any good info about them.

Thanks

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
According to RA you have this cooler on your rig now if you have the heavy duty trans cooler RPO code KNP: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3600450&cc=1434093&jsn=1516

If you don't then you likely have just the internal cooler in the radiator that is very small in comparison. If you have the cooler code KNP then check to make sure it is not clogged.

If I did not have that code and only had the radiator cooler, I would get the AC Delco one and plumb it all in with factory lines and mounting.

I do have the RPO code on mine and my cooler is right up front, just behind the grill. I also have code GT4 for the 3.73 gear and I bet that is why I have that cooler.

OP
OP
Jlaughtr

Jlaughtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to RA you have this cooler on your rig now if you have the heavy duty trans cooler RPO code KNP: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3600450&cc=1434093&jsn=1516

If you don't then you likely have just the internal cooler in the radiator that is very small in comparison. If you have the cooler code KNP then check to make sure it is not clogged.

If I did not have that code and only had the radiator cooler, I would get the AC Delco one and plumb it all in with factory lines and mounting.

I do have the RPO code on mine and my cooler is right up front, just behind the grill. I also have code GT4 for the 3.73 gear and I bet that is why I have that cooler.

Yea I have the smaller external cooler. Since I live out here with such high temps, I am wanting to upgrade to a larger one so that it will cool better.

Radiator.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tru-Cool 40k is the hands down go-to for our rigs. There’s plenty of write-ups on it in the forums and YouTube. It installs in the place of your tiny factory external cooler.

08z71bgm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tru-Cool 40k is the hands down go-to for our rigs. There’s plenty of write-ups on it in the forums and YouTube. It installs in the place of your tiny factory external cooler.
Wonder if this kit he spoke about works for the NNBS?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It does look like the way to go. That new cooler cooler surface is 3 times bigger than the old one. The only thing I don't like is the compression fitting but if done right it should be good. That would be a constant source of inspection for me, especially during an oil change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645