Tried it all, I need help. A constant Oil pressure fight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sh

Yeah no kidding haha. This last weekend was the lowest I've ever seen it. Never seen it below 20 except a hot day pushing it hard.
I just happen to stumble across the "oil pressure bypass/releif valve"? Little spring loaded pin where the filter mounts... Some guys are blocling/plugging it... Never seen it before hmm..
That relief valve is there in case the oil filter gets plugged so the oil can just bypass the filter all together. That doesnt fit the bill with your cold ok or so so and then crap pressure when warm and improves with new oil. It takes alot of missed oil changes to get to the point where the bypass valve is actuating.

OP
OP
Collinmcballin
Reaction score
That relief valve is there in case the oil filter gets plugged so the oil can just bypass the filter all together. That doesnt fit the bill with your cold ok or so so and then crap pressure when warm and improves with new oil. It takes alot of missed oil changes to get to the point where the bypass valve is actuating.
Gotcha gotcha. Thanks for that insight. Mixed reviews from people on what it actually does lol
Yeah the previous owner definitely missed his oil changes. There was 1" of sludge when I dropped the pan. Last March...
Had the truck since 19'

Enter YouTube search of backyard engine building
And who has a cherry picker hahaha

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I read thru the initial post I immediately thought bearings. @rockola1971 and @swathdiver beat me to it by a day. I really think you will find the problem(s) when it is torn down and gone thru. I have also, over the years heard of lower end oil pressure problems after the upper end is done and that seems to create extra pressure on the many more miles lower end. Do the barbell while apart and as I have seen with your list, continue to use quality parts and if is beyond your expertise, have a very qualified tech/shop/machinist do it right.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Another by the way. There is just something about these 05's huh!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
Collinmcballin
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.
It's awesome!! Thank you guys so much

OP
OP
Collinmcballin
Reaction score
When I read thru the initial post I immediately thought bearings. @rockola1971 and @swathdiver beat me to it by a day. I really think you will find the problem(s) when it is torn down and gone thru. I have also, over the years heard of lower end oil pressure problems after the upper end is done and that seems to create extra pressure on the many more miles lower end. Do the barbell while apart and as I have seen with your list, continue to use quality parts and if is beyond your expertise, have a very qualified tech/shop/machinist do it right.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Another by the way. There is just something about these 05's huh!
Thank you so much. I honestly had no idea how this would go, but it's almost like talking to a good friend. Really appreciative.
NO kidding! I was dead set on an 05, only had to check paint RPO code ahead of time to know I got the good one. Drove 8hrs to AZ and only paid 4k for it. Can't wait to tell my kids that story someday. It had Never towed, never been in the dirt, and was bone stock.
Funny how that changed ;D

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha gotcha. Thanks for that insight. Mixed reviews from people on what it actually does lol
Yeah the previous owner definitely missed his oil changes. There was 1" of sludge when I dropped the pan. Last March...
Had the truck since 19'

Enter YouTube search of backyard engine building
And who has a cherry picker hahaha

How does the oil look when you drain it?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully not cam bearings but likely if the truck was run for a long time with the cracked heads. When I had to replace my Castechs, it took a 4-5 short OCI's to get all the crap out even with MMO in each. After about 4-500 miles, the idle oil pressure would drop to about 20 per the cluster. What I think was happening was there were still remnants of coolant that would cause the filter to not flow as well. Current oil is about 1000 miles now and while pressure is not as high as I would like after extended highway drives it isn't as bad as before. I feel like my bearings may still be suspect as it used to idle over 40 psi no matter but I'm just gonna drive it until it grenades while acquiring a 6.0 to rebuild for later.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a possible hail Mary here with the possibility of ALOT of sludge buildup and moving around. Id drain a 1.5 quarts of oil off and then add 2 quarts of engine flush and let it idle in the driveway for 30-45mins. DO NOT DRIVE IT OR GET MUCH OFF IDLE with the flush in the oil. Then do a oil change with new filter and see if anything improves and stays improved.
If no improvement then Id be checking the couch for quarters and dollar bills....better find someone that knows someone that works at the local engine shop and shop around for beer on sale!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo