Travel mod.....Need help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazycrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!! Red02chevy

How in the **** did you get it so clean???

Yes. It definatly was a pain in the ass to do. I did the pass. side with a sawzall and the drivers side with a plasma. That gas tank is definatly close too!!!!!

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!! Red02chevy

How in the **** did you get it so clean???

Yes. It definatly was a pain in the ass to do. I did the pass. side with a sawzall and the drivers side with a plasma. That gas tank is definatly close too!!!!!

I used a ton of different tools and took my time. I also pulled all the suspension to have access to all the areas. I cut must of the pieces up into sections and the grabbed them with vise grips and went bent it back and forth to brake the weld. Then flap disc'd the welds until I was almost to the frame, then used a roloc on the die grinder to get it even closer but never actually touching the frame then finally used a soft strip with 80 grit, then DA'd with 80 then 220 and blocked the area with 220 and to finalize it I used a red scotch Brite pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazycrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I know it definatly took the beat part of your weekend, but it sure does look factory. Hell of a nice job man!!

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a pain in the ass to do. If you were any where near me I'd offer to do it.

Here is how my girls tahoe turned out. I am super happy with the outcome.

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

What exactly am I looking at? The black bar? I installed my belltech kit, but I cant recall what underneath there looked like:mexsmoke:

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly am I looking at? The black bar? I installed my belltech kit, but I cant recall what underneath there looked like:mexsmoke:

The mount that the bumo stop is attached too. It runs from the gas tank to the sway bar upper mount

007.jpg

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to have it done since mine is bagged. They added a new bump stop on the lower control arm. This is for when I let the air out to save my fenders and tires from getting tore up.

Getinyukinlower

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here and to all the lingo stuff.... what exactly is the free travel mod? I'm confused. Thanks

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
anton ill hit you up in a few weeks. Shoulder is jacked still but i can cut it out no problem.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can drive with mine pretty much aired out and no bumpstops without any interference. I thought our backs were pretty much the same height aired out NASTY GM...

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here and to all the lingo stuff.... what exactly is the free travel mod? I'm confused. Thanks

It's when you remove the factory bump stop bracket off the frame to gain travel. I believe it gives you between 1"-2" of extra travel.

The section you need to remove I circled in red.

0071.gif

Here are some pictures of my tahoe after I removed it. I also used Smart undercoating to recoat the frame. It's the closest thing I could find to match factory.

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

This might seem like it's easy to do but it's a lot harder then most think. I have a lot of hours into mine and I am very happy with the outcome. If you're not familiar with metal work I would not attempt it. I would try and find a shop that can do it, you need to make sure that they also know what they're doing as well. I got in trouble for speaking my mind last time this topic came up so I will end it there. Good luck with you Tahoe and I look forward to seeing what the outcome you guys come up with.