Trasmission leak at output/prop shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77mercury77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got my truck back from a rear main seal replacement and now i notice a trans leak at the output shaft seal.
I figure this one is easy, just disconnect at the u-joint, pull out and replace?
Are there any special tools, consumables, other things I should replace while i am in the process?
Also am i going to lose a lot of fluid or just need a top off?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have it figured out about right. Not a lot of fluid back there normally. I always try to put the drive shaft back in just like it came out, mark it at the rear. I'm pretty ocd though.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got my truck back from a rear main seal replacement and now i notice a trans leak at the output shaft seal.
I figure this one is easy, just disconnect at the u-joint, pull out and replace?
Are there any special tools, consumables, other things I should replace while i am in the process?
No special tools, just a 7/16” wrench or socket/extension for the driveshaft-to-pinion yoke bolts. Like Tom said, index the driveshaft with a paint pen or spray pain so it goes back on exactly how it came off (though you’ll know it right away if you put it on the “wrong way, lol”).

Use a big socket and hammer to install the new seal. Some folks will put a thin coat of rtv on the outer surface of the seal body. Coat the sealing surface with trans fluid or petroleum jelly before sliding the slip yoke back on.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if NNBS are the same as NBS but a shop installed a 4x4 output seal on my RWD after doing the rear main. They are two different parts. After convincing them it was the wrong seal and they put it in a lift and ran it to confirm the noise was in that area, got the proper seal on.

Watch your ears for the horrible noise that resulted:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if NNBS are the same as NBS but a shop installed a 4x4 output seal on my RWD after doing the rear main. They are two different parts. After convincing them it was the wrong seal and they put it in a lift and ran it to confirm the noise was in that area, got the proper seal on.

Watch your ears for the horrible noise that resulted:
Geez, sorry to hear that (figuratively and literally)! Glad it got fixed and hope no other damage of any kind was done.

Did they/you check the slip yoke for any grooves cut into it by the wrong seal being installed?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez, sorry to hear that (figuratively and literally)! Glad it got fixed and hope no other damage of any kind was done.

Did they/you check the slip yoke for any grooves cut into it by the wrong seal being installed?
I should, forgot to inspect when I had it off to grease the splines. Would think it would have been obvious if so, but I don’t remember anything. Seems fine, so far.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year and is it RWD or 4WD?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick