Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrawk1120

Reaction score
I know these transmissions are notorious for failing in 3 and 4th. So the truck I got (getting) will be fine in 1st and 2nd and just makes a bunch of noise once you hit 3rd. Any chance there is a simple fix? I know its a long shot, but figure I'd ask.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a symptom but not a noise. If the transmission is actually making a audible noise when it shifts or trys to shift into a gear something is most likely broken or breaking. After "getting" the truck i recommend not driving it again until its been fixed or properly diagnosed so you get back to us. If something is damaged you risk a catastrophic failure and instead of just having something fixed you may end up replacing the whole transmission.

OP
OP
jrawk1120

jrawk1120

Reaction score
Well, I am already planning on purchasing a tranny. I had a 99 4 door, and went through a tranny in that truck, and know these are known for it.

ajs1975

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 97 tahoe is about the same. Bought it last weekend and as soon as I hit 3rd gear it slips. Not sure if I want to risk a shed knew or just wait and have mine gone through.

Ballaholyk84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My truck just went in yesterday to have it looked at since it just began slipping really badly. No other signs prior. Just out of the blue. Well low and behold I have coolant and water in there that has damaged everything. So in the end I am getting a full HD Built K Case Tranny, New Radiator, and New Inline Tranny Cooler installed. Sucks for sure but 20k of the last 22k (22k in the last 3.5 years and 192k total on stock Motor and Tranny) miles has all been towing and I think that did it. Then once I get it back on Friday I am installing a complete brand new AC system and installing all new plugs, wires, Cap and Rotor to bring it back to life a little. Runs like a champ (Motor wise) and still going strong. Its my all time favorite body style of Chevy (97 Tahoe LT 4WD 4Dr) and I plan on having it for at least another 15 years when my daughter is old enough for her first vehicle.

BTW, Nice score on the rebuild. I was going to go that route but I figured id spend the money to have a full HD Built Tranny installed.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know these transmissions are notorious for failing in 3 and 4th. So the truck I got (getting) will be fine in 1st and 2nd and just makes a bunch of noise once you hit 3rd. Any chance there is a simple fix? I know its a long shot, but figure I'd ask.

no there is no simple fix the problem yer referring the the 3rd 4th gear apply pistion seal wears out wich causes inadequete hydrallic pressure to the 3rd and 4th gear clutch packs wich burns up the clutch material so this requires a complete tear town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DH24YUKON