Could this be a bad transmission pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know the difference of the transmissions, but, in my 1988 GMC C2500, the forward pump failed. It made a 'similar' but MORE OF A SOLID sound, for 10 minutes, then immediately, the 700R4 went into a neutral ( no more go )..... ( The forward pump is located behind the 8" cover, where the torque converter attaches.)

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would want to look up in the flex plate mount bolts area, for cracks in the flex plate. Should be ruled out as a source of the noise.

Or, where the torque converter engages at the front pump area.
Yup a cracked flexplate will mimic the noise in the vid too. The noise comes from the flexplate distorting outward around the crack and the nearest torque converter bolt head strikes the bellhousing area.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
You need a stethoscope to pinpoint exact location.
It's a good thing I bought one a while ago, are there any certain points to listen were it would tell me what it could be? Like for example listening to point A it could be the pump
Listening to point B it could be a a worn gear
Point C could be whatever else

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My stethoscope had a pointed metal probe that allows for tight places and also a hollow tube with a coned cup to seal the listening area:

Another way would be to remove the inspection cover and look in there for the loose bolts or cracks. A bore scope is great to have. I wish I had one.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Hopefully @NickTransmissions can chime in with help.

In the future, it is always best to post what year, make and model vehicle you have. Or is it a secret?
So I've been doing some research but what do you think the chances are that the noise could be a worn parking pawl?? My truck does roll a little after putting it in park and there have been times where it's hard to get out of park. @NickTransmissions I don't know if you've seen the video, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
My stethoscope had a pointed metal probe that allows for tight places and also a hollow tube with a coned cup to seal the listening area:

Another way would be to remove the inspection cover and look in there for the loose bolts or cracks. A bore scope is great to have. I wish I had one.
I have the same stethoscope and I'll try to pinpoint the noise more this weekend, hopefully I'll be able to get a video up for yall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660