Could this be a bad transmission pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've been doing some research but what do you think the chances are that the noise could be a worn parking pawl?? My truck does roll a little after putting it in park and there have been times where it's hard to get out of park. @NickTransmissions I don't know if you've seen the video, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Drop the pan and take a look for debris for broken parts. We can speculate all day long but be no closer to an answer; got to get "hands on".

Also, it's perfectly normal for the vehicle to roll a little bit before the next lug on the parking gear/rear hub rotates into position for the pawl to engage. Having it be a little tough to disengage, especially on grades is also normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Drop the pan and take a look for debris for broken parts. We can speculate all day long but be no closer to an answer; got to get "hands on".

Also, it's perfectly normal for the vehicle to roll a little bit before the next lug on the parking gear/rear hub rotates into position for the pawl to engage. Having it be a little tough to disengage, especially on grades is also normal.
Ok and I agree I have to get hands on, so today while my father in law was going back the house he said the transmission overheated, he made it to the house, but I know I need to check the cooler and fluid, I'm pretty sure the filter also, but is there anything else I should check? I know I can check the transmission lines, but I don't know how. Would I get a pressure gauge on it?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok and I agree I have to get hands on, so today while my father in law was going back the house he said the transmission overheated, he made it to the house, but I know I need to check the cooler and fluid, I'm pretty sure the filter also, but is there anything else I should check? I know I can check the transmission lines, but I don't know how. Would I get a pressure gauge on it?
I just watched your video and the sounds heard towards the end appear to be external to the transmission or engine...Perhaps flex plate hitting the TC cover, dangling heat shielding or something similar. I normally don't diagnose or even suggest anything based on videos as most are shot with cell phones that really can't render the sounds in a way that helps pinpoint or accurately characterize the sound - just a limitation of the tech...

You can do a pressure test by installing a transmission pressure gauge into the 7/16 pressure port tap on the driver side of the transmission, just rearward of the bell housing...If your line pressures are good (55-80 PSI in P, N, D, D3 and 90-120 PSI in Reverse) at idle, then pump is probably fine.

Check for burnt clutch material, metal, etc once you drop the pan. Also cut the filter open to see what it's been collecting. Overheating episodes are no good and depending on length / severity, soft part damage my have been sustained though won't know until you try driving it again after the service.

If you see a bunch of chunks, black charred clutch material, metal flakes, pieces of gear teeth, etc just put the pan back on w/ a few bolts and yank it out for overhaul...

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transmission over heating? Either a bad lock-up, or a failing planitory gear.
If the transmission begins to smoke,... drive EASY...... Accelerate as if you are driving on ice.
This will make the transmission slip less ( slipping causes heat). Then go straight to a transmission shop.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
I just watched your video and the sounds heard towards the end appear to be external to the transmission or engine...Perhaps flex plate hitting the TC cover, dangling heat shielding or something similar. I normally don't diagnose or even suggest anything based on videos as most are shot with cell phones that really can't render the sounds in a way that helps pinpoint or accurately characterize the sound - just a limitation of the tech...

You can do a pressure test by installing a transmission pressure gauge into the 7/16 pressure port tap on the driver side of the transmission, just rearward of the bell housing...If your line pressures are good (55-80 PSI in P, N, D, D3 and 90-120 PSI in Reverse) at idle, then pump is probably fine.

Check for burnt clutch material, metal, etc once you drop the pan. Also cut the filter open to see what it's been collecting. Overheating episodes are no good and depending on length / severity, soft part damage my have been sustained though won't know until you try driving it again after the service.

If you see a bunch of chunks, black charred clutch material, metal flakes, pieces of gear teeth, etc just put the pan back on w/ a few bolts and yank it out for overhaul...
I see why @OR VietVet tagged you, thank you sir!! I will definitely be keeping an out, hopefully I can get to it this weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar