Excessive Cranking/Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as in modifications to the engine, there is nothing. I just replaced the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator, all fluids, coolant temp sensor (which I have to replace again since it is freaking out on me). If you mean aftermarket, everything is about the same except for the inside of the truck. No check engine lights, Zero rust on any surface of the truck (California vehicle it’s whole life) not even a tire pressure light. I can ask my friends who work at orilleys which I’m about to go to to run a OBD2 Port scan

I was trying to connect the symptoms and the first that came to mind was the MAF sensor. If the PCM isn't properly reading the airflow, it would affect the fueling and also the shifting. Oiled air filters are known to coat the MAF wires, skewing their readings. But, the MAF could still be faulty. It may not be so much that the PCM sees it operating out of range, so no DTCs are set. You can check all the basics such as fuel pressure activities, codes, etc. But, I'm betting that it's likely gonna come down to using a scanner that shows live data to see what the sensors are reporting at key on/engine off, cranking, and idling.

Unplugging the MAF forces the PCM to default to a speed density map. While not ideal at all for normal operation, it could be better than trying to operate on grossly erroneous info from a faulty sensor. Like I said- just a quick/free test.

Chance are that, if the trans and cranking/drivability issues are related, it's an electronic problem. I'd go after the drivabilty issue and see if the trans acts right after that. The transmissions are known for their common faults, particularly the torque converter and sloppy tuning.

Next time it has sat for a while or overnight, when it should have an extended cranking, don't start it. Turn the key to on (all gauges on, right before the cranking position) for about 5 seconds. Turn it off for about 5, then back on for 5, then off for 5. Repeat the on/off cycle 3-4 times. Then, twist the key to crank as normal to see if it fires up any quicker than it has been doing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was trying to connect the symptoms and the first that came to mind was the MAF sensor. If the PCM isn't properly reading the airflow, it would affect the fueling and also the shifting. Oiled air filters are known to coat the MAF wires, skewing their readings. But, the MAF could still be faulty. It may not be so much that the PCM sees it operating out of range, so no DTCs are set. You can check all the basics such as fuel pressure activities, codes, etc. But, I'm betting that it's likely gonna come down to using a scanner that shows live data to see what the sensors are reporting at key on/engine off, cranking, and idling.

Unplugging the MAF forces the PCM to default to a speed density map. While not ideal at all for normal operation, it could be better than trying to operate on grossly erroneous info from a faulty sensor. Like I said- just a quick/free test.

Chance are that, if the trans and cranking/drivability issues are related, it's an electronic problem. I'd go after the drivabilty issue and see if the trans acts right after that. The transmissions are known for their common faults, particularly the torque converter and sloppy tuning.

Next time it has sat for a while or overnight, when it should have an extended cranking, don't start it. Turn the key to on (all gauges on, right before the cranking position) for about 5 seconds. Turn it off for about 5, then back on for 5, then off for 5. Repeat the on/off cycle 3-4 times. Then, twist the key to crank as normal to see if it fires up any quicker than it has been doing.
Alright ordered a pressure tester and I am picking it up today. Let me go try the turning key on and off trick. I have tried this a couple times, but only turned the key about twice. Let me try and update you

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright I got into my truck, put the key in, turned it to the “On” position for 10 seconds, for 8 intervals on and off so 80 seconds of time for the fuel pump to prime. Turned it to the “run” position and same thing. Cranked like crazy, barely started, shook the truck, and died. I didn’t even try to keep starting it because I would have to do this 3 more times lol
Mack :)

Edit:does this make it a higher possibility that it is a fuel pump? I also am buying 8 new spark plugs even though the old ones were not bad

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I got into my truck, put the key in, turned it to the “On” position for 10 seconds, for 8 intervals on and off so 80 seconds of time for the fuel pump to prime. Turned it to the “run” position and same thing. Cranked like crazy, barely started, shook the truck, and died. I didn’t even try to keep starting it because I would have to do this 3 more times lol
Mack :)

Edit:does this make it a higher possibility that it is a fuel pump? I also am buying 8 new spark plugs even though the old ones were not bad

Not necessarily. Checking the fuel pressure and the pressure's characteristics (Key on/engine off, key off with pressure over x time, etc.) will determine that. I wouldn't bother with replacing the plugs if the current ones are good. They'd have to be really bad to not spark. I feel it'd be wasted money. Also a risky move unless you know for sure your new plugs are genuine.

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Checking the fuel pressure and the pressure's characteristics (Key on/engine off, key off with pressure over x time, etc.) will determine that. I wouldn't bother with replacing the plugs if the current ones are good. They'd have to be really bad to not spark. I feel it'd be wasted money. Also a risky move unless you know for sure your new plugs are genuine.
Ahh ok. I’m testing the fuel pressure right now. Thank you guys so much for helping me with all this. The truck has so much value to me and everyone is telling me to sell it but I would never haha. I’ll get right back to you guys after I get the results from the pressure test :)
Mack

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the tranny, how hard would that be to fix? I know transmissions are no joke to disassemble lol. I believe I have a 6L80 since that’s what came standard with these guys. I have a few friends that own shops, but I doubt any of them can do such complex things like transmissions
Check out my 6L80 Tear down video for a good understanding of the process (link is in my signature)...Assuming you acquire thr tools, ATSG manual and set aside the time to learn how to work on them, they're not terribly difficult...

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds flooded to me. If you try to force more fuel in after gas pump clicks off the first time can ruin the vapor cannister purge valve on intake (AC Delco # 214-1680) and/or the rear charcoal cannister. Or leaky fuel injector(s).

Next time you go to start it put the gas pedal too the floor and crank it. Putting the pedal to the floor shuts off the fuel injectors.

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ever had the cam position sensor replaced?
No i never have. It would also make sense as sometimes, it won’t even crank it’ll start so fast after I did the 3 restarts of it not starting. Would it make it act like this too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts