Excessive Cranking/Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds flooded to me. If you try to force more fuel in after gas pump clicks off the first time can ruin the vapor cannister purge valve on intake (AC Delco # 214-1680) and/or the rear charcoal cannister. Or leaky fuel injector(s).

Next time you go to start it put the gas pedal too the floor and crank it. Putting the pedal to the floor shuts off the fuel injectors.
Alright awesome I’m going to do this tomorrow morning as today I just bought the fuel pump tester. Anything else you recommend to do ?
Mack :)

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check out my 6L80 Tear down video for a good understanding of the process (link is in my signature)...Assuming you acquire thr tools, ATSG manual and set aside the time to learn how to work on them, they're not terribly difficult...
Ok cool. Today when I drove it to the trans was still geeking out so I’m thinking of taking it out. If I gets bad enough I’m going to do that

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ever had the cam position sensor replaced?
Also for the Cam Posit Sensor, I had a OBD2 port scan today and the only thing they could find was that the Coolant Temp sensor was bad even though I replaced it (my other post). There is no check engine light or anything. Can the OBD2 pick up a bad CPS?
Ever had the cam position sensor replaced?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also for the Cam Posit Sensor, I had a OBD2 port scan today and the only thing they could find was that the Coolant Temp sensor was bad even though I replaced it (my other post). There is no check engine light or anything. Can the OBD2 pick up a bad CPS?
I asked about this sensor because if it has been replaced with non OEM made part, it can exhibit these symptoms. If it’s original to the vehicle, I doubt it is the problem.

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright I’m about to do the test, when I hook it up, what should the pressure be at? If I remember I think it was 55-62 psi for the 5.3 right? Also, how would you guys like me to record the data, and how much psi should it maintain without going back down

OP
OP
MackAttack

MackAttack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok just ran the test. Turned the key to the “on” position, and the PSI jumped to 50. Turned the engine over, and it jumped to 58-60 PSI even the first 2 starts where the engine kept dying. The second I killed the engine, the psi instantly dropped 8-10 PSI (50 ish). Turned it off, left it for 30 mins, and it maintained 50 PSI. When I first put the attachment, gas shot out, so I was confused because that means that it has pressure? Anyway, Started it again, and went right back to 60. (PS: yesterday I noticed on a little harder accelerations such as speeding up to merge and such, I feel like the engine is being starved of gas because I can hear it bogging and it looses power. This does not happen all the time though.) Back to what I was saying, when I was letting it idle for the second time it was staying at 60, but all of a sudden dropped to 43ish PSI. Is this normal? Engine idled fine even after sudden drop

dccinstaller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok just ran the test. Turned the key to the “on” position, and the PSI jumped to 50. Turned the engine over, and it jumped to 58-60 PSI even the first 2 starts where the engine kept dying. The second I killed the engine, the psi instantly dropped 8-10 PSI (50 ish). Turned it off, left it for 30 mins, and it maintained 50 PSI. When I first put the attachment, gas shot out, so I was confused because that means that it has pressure? Anyway, Started it again, and went right back to 60. (PS: yesterday I noticed on a little harder accelerations such as speeding up to merge and such, I feel like the engine is being starved of gas because I can hear it bogging and it looses power. This does not happen all the time though.) Back to what I was saying, when I was letting it idle for the second time it was staying at 60, but all of a sudden dropped to 43ish PSI. Is this normal? Engine idled fine even after sudden drop
Have you cleaned the throttle body, mine was doing the same thing, rough idle, transmission shifting problems, after relearn, idles fine, shifts great and gets out of the hole quick, 2012 Tahoe LTZ 207k, was thinking Tranny problems, gear hunting, upshifting,downshifting, would down shift 3 times between 25 and 10 MPH at 1500 rpm, working the brake hard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts